Valentine's Day gifts for the 5 love languages

Valentine's Day is creeping up. Before you know it, the holiday of love and affection will be upon us. While it celebrates the intimacies and personal connections between lovers, finding the right gift for that special someone can be intimidating. But, not everyone has the same preferences for presents and how they wish for their partner to show their love. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of some gift ideas tailored to each love language:

Physical touch

Throw them a spa day

What better way to shower your person with love than a spa day? This can range anywhere from an oil massage to a warm bubble bath. Anything like a manicure and pedicure, a scalp massage or facial would be perfect for someone that enjoys feeling the warmth of their partner near them.

Buy long distance touch bracelets

Long distance relationship or not, it can be lonely sometimes without your significant other. Stay connected to them by getting a touch or bond bracelet. Touching one of the bands sends a vibrating and light up trigger to the other person’s bracelet. It’s a nice gift to feel close with your partner without having to be beside them.

Receiving gifts

Get crafty with a homemade scrapbook

Handmade gifts are always a classic and sentimental gesture. Break out the stickers and Washi Tape to collage a memorable gift that’ll last forever. Print out pictures at your local CVS or Walgreens, and get some fun paper at an arts and craft store.

Give a paint by number set

A gift that has become more and more popular, paint by number sets are nice presents to give the special someone who may enjoy an item they can use. The images of the sets can range anywhere from famous paintings to even a custom picture. Want to hop in on the action? Get one for each of you and work on them together and make a date night out of it.

Words of affirmation

Curate a love note jar

Another gift that’s good for long distance as well, a love note jar can be a personal present that can be used over and over again. Write little encouragements, memories and things you like about your partner on pretty paper and put them into the container of your choosing. You could also decorate the vessel with lace, doilies, hearts, whatever you may find fitting.

Find meaningful jewelry

Though jewelry may be seen as cliché, you can turn it into a very personal gift. Engrave their initials, a special message for them, or maybe the date you two got together. Not one for engravings? Find pieces with their birthstone, birth flower, astrology sign or maybe even just their favorite color.

Quality time

Take a cooking class together

Make a meal and eat it too with a cooking class that you can enjoy together. Many cooking classes range in what they make, from sushi to steak. It’ll be a great opportunity to also learn some new recipes for date night. Can’t find a cooking class? Search for your own recipes and have a personal multiple course meal cooking night.

Spend a day outdoors

Take the time to enjoy the great outdoors and spend some time with your lover. Being outside can range from anything like hiking and ice skating or having a picnic and watching the stars. Any nature inspired activity that you do will for sure be a hit, as long as you two are together and enjoying one another’s company.

Acts of service

DIY a voucher book

With parallels to the scrapbook, show off your artistic skills with a homemade voucher book. Similar to a collage, you can use pretty paper and nice pens to write out services for your partner that they can renew at any time. Some suggestions are: a free backrub, a paid dinner of their choosing and a location date to wherever they’d like.

Make them breakfast in bed

A classic gesture that can never go wrong, who wouldn’t love to have breakfast served to them in bed? Take the time to cook up all of their favorite breakfast foods, and make it special by serving it by course. Want to make it extra special? Buy a bed tray table and serve the food to them on it, so they don’t have to get up.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu