Letter to the Editor: Trust in our election system

Dear Editor:

Trust in our election system is fundamental to democracy. Ensuring our community understands the security measures in place is critical to building that trust.

As a poll worker and as an observer for the League of Women Voters at Board of Elections meetings, we’ve seen firsthand the rigorous safeguards in place to ensure that every vote is secure. We’d like to share some insights about the process so our community can better understand how our elections work.

Before Election Day, voting machines and tabulators — which are never connected to the internet — undergo bipartisan testing for accuracy and security. The equipment is stored in secure, locked locations with tamper-proof seals, only accessible when both a Republican and a Democratic election official are present. Additionally, our local BOE implements ongoing security upgrades, both physical and cyber, to protect the integrity of the election.

Poll workers, who are required to work in bipartisan groups, are thoroughly trained on Ohio’s voting rules and procedures. As election season approaches, BOE staff work to educate voters to minimize errors and ensure that all votes are counted correctly. The ballot drop box is under constant electronic surveillance and is physically checked regularly, with any handling of ballots or voting equipment done by bipartisan teams.

On Election Day, all precincts are staffed by these bipartisan teams of trained poll workers. Throughout the day, BOE staff meticulously reconcile voting lists to ensure no votes are counted twice, and every Ohio ballot is backed up with a hard-copy paper trail, regardless of the method used to cast it.

After the election, counties conduct public post-election audits to ensure the count’s accuracy. If a recount is necessary, it is done by hand, with representatives from both parties observing the process.

Thanks to Ohio’s rigorous regulations and the tireless efforts of BOE staff, our elections are secure. Every vote is vital, and every vote counts.

In this election, as in every election, your vote is your voice. With Ohio’s secure and transparent process in place, there’s no reason to sit out. Make a plan now to vote and ensure your voice is heard — because every voter helps uphold the integrity of our democracy.

Adriane Mohlenkamp & Helen King

League of Women Voters of Athens County