Trinket frenzy popularizes niche obsessions 

A trinket frenzy has struck several parts of the nation, leaving companies to ponder what caused this mayhem. Miniature figures such as Sonny Angels, Smiskis, Monchhichis and Jellycats have consumed people’s lives and wallets.

As of recently, trinket culture has been popularized by the TikTok community. Due to the sheer interest in collecting these miniature figures, several companies behind these toys have leaned into the trend to build their reputation.

Companies such as Sonny Angels, Smiskis and Jellycats have furthered their online presence by enhancing their branding on Instagram and TikTok to appeal to a young adult audience. Other companies have yet to hop on the bandwagon but are becoming just as popular.

Sonny Angels, ranging in price from $10-$12, are currently one of the most sought-after trinkets on the market. In 2022, Sonny Angels gained popularity through social media. Since then, people have been obsessed with collecting these 3-inch cherubs with unique headgear.

The inspiration behind Sonny Angels was Japanese CEO Toru Soeya’s appreciation for the adorable baby featured on Kewpie Mayo bottles. Soeya wanted to share the cuteness of these babies with the rest of the world, leading to the first Sonny Angel being born May 15, 2004.

Though Sonny Angels have been around for years, the recent collecting craze led them to fly off the shelves. Their blind box packaging leaves people eagerly waiting to open them. The mystery of which Sonny Angel will be inside the box has created chaos among collectors.

Smiskis, another blind box trinket priced at $10, also caused a bit of commotion within the trinket community recently. Created in 2009 by Dreams Inc., Smiskis became a new miniature figure to accompany collectors. Soon after its release in Tokyo, Japan, several people fell in love with the trinket’s cuteness and the brand went global.

After going global, these green glowing figurines slowly turned into subtle home decor. Due to their distinct personalities, people found discrete ways to integrate them into parts of their homes. The figurine’s expressionless faces fit its plethora of poses, and their simple design is key to why so many people enjoy collecting them for quirky home decor.

Another niche trinket gaining popularity is Monchhichis, furry monkey dolls created to teach children the importance of “beauty and love.”

In 1974, the first Monchhichi was created by the Japanese company Sekiguchi. Several children in the ‘70s and ‘80s were obsessed with these loveable monkeys, but they began to lose popularity in the mid-2000s. 

With support from TikTok users, there has been a resurgence of demand for Monchhichis. The desire to showcase a person’s aesthetic kick-started an urge to own unique trinkets. Since Monchhichis are not conventionally appealing to many, several new collectors saw them as a way to differ from Sonny Angel and Smiski lovers. 

Now, Monchhichis are beginning to reach new audiences because of their resurgence. So many people love these furry monkeys Urban Outfitters has been selling them, retailing for $22-$34. Monchhichis may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they sure are becoming new additions in several trinket collectors’ homes.

A newer obsession among trinket culture has been the craze for collecting Jellycat stuffed animals, with prices starting at $15. Created in 1999 in London, co-founders Thomas and William Gatacre invented the brand cat-inspired Jellycat to “treasure their playful natures and always share joy with others.” 

Since their release, Jellycats have had immense success within the toy industry. Due to their high quality and adorable designs, Jellycats have been all the rave for the past few years.

Similar to other trinkets, Jellycats have gained a lot of their recent popularity through TikTok. Users have been so invested in collecting Jellycats that it has become common to post Jellycat hauls, which play a role in influencing people to collect these adorable stuffed animals.

Much of the appeal towards collecting Jellycats comes from the variety of options to choose from. There is a Jellycat for nearly every food, animal and season. These cute trinkets can be used as aesthetic home decor while doubling as a comfort buddy.

Clearly, there is a lot to consider when searching for the perfect trinket. Companies such as Sonny Angels, Smiskis, Monchhichi and Jellycat have invested time and effort to create quality and lovable pieces. 

Although these companies are some of the leading brands at the moment, there are several other trinket companies gaining popularity as well. The current trinket craze has made people wonder which trinket best suits their aesthetic. Most importantly, it has brought attention to the value of supporting each other's niche obsessions. 

cl358222@ohio.edu

@cat_litts