The front of Kantner Hall, which houses space for classes for the College of Fine Art and two theaters for productions, March 20, 2024, in Athens.

OU School of Theater gives powerful performance of ‘The Trojan Women’

The School of Theater’s 2024-25 performance season continued Oct. 17 to 19 in the Virginia Hahne Theater of Kantner Hall with a production of Euripides and Brendan Kennelly’s “The Trojan Women.”

“The Trojan Women” is a profound and emotional tragedy that highlights the experiences of a group of women in post-war Troy. Hecuba, the former queen of Troy, mourns her fallen husband and sons surrounded by her daughter, Cassandra, and other widows. The women look to Hecuba for guidance and answers concerning their futures under the Greeks' control.  

Greek soldiers arrive in war-torn Troy to inform Hecuba and the other women they will be forced to marry Greek men. Chosen by Agamemnon to be his wife, Cassandra gives a powerful monologue with intense declarations and anticipation of her new husband’s imminent demise. Talthybius, the head soldier, thinks she is crazy, so they take her away.

Andromache, Hecuba’s daughter-in-law, enters the scene with her child, Astyanax, to find a dreadful fate before them. The Greeks demand Astyanax be killed, fearing he would end up like his father and great Trojan warrior, Hector. Andromache, Hecuba and the Women of Troy are devastated. Later, the boy is returned to them for his burial, and the funeral is a poignant scene in the play. A somber monologue is given by Hecuba while the Women of Troy drape a flag over Astyanax. 

Hecuba and the other Women blame Helen of Troy for the travesties of the war because of her affair with Hecuba’s late son Paris, which caused Helen’s husband, the Spartan king Menelaus, and the Greeks to attack. They demand she be held accountable for the loss and suffering her behavior caused. 

The play comes to a close with the women accepting their fates, but determining to do so with courage and strength. They vow to never forget their roots in Troy. 

Sophomore director, Sarah Curtis, did an excellent job utilizing stillness and silence in the scenes. The scenes were powerful, moving and chill-inducing. Whenever a “ding” sound was heard, the characters would freeze for these “picture moments” and create beautiful visuals onstage. The different lighting choices made by Adrian Coté, the graduate lighting designer, created an intensity emphasizing the cast’s emotions and expressions.

The Women of Troy (including Kasey Dingee, Sydney Campbell, Isabella Zallo, Bella Martin and Katie Carpenter) dynamically and elegantly carried the play’s plot. There also wasn’t an intermission, so the actors who played Hecuba and the Women of Troy remained onstage for the performance’s full duration. They remained in character the entire time.  

Lucy Walter, ,the First Woman of Troy, was the leader of the eight women. Her character was caring, gentle, strong and ardent in protecting the women from any danger.

Audrey Phipps the Third Woman of Troy, captivated the audience with her expressions, portraying all of her character’s various emotions throughout different production points.

Each woman took center stage to mourn their beloved home of Troy and confront the women’s oppression of why the city “died.” Sophia Trefz, the Eighth Woman of Troy, particularly enthralled the audience during her “that is how a city dies” dialogue. Trefz’s performance during the scene perfectly encapsulated the play’s message.  

As a Greek soldier, Talthybius followed the orders of his leaders but tried to minimize harm to Hecuba and the other Women of Troy. In his portrayal, senior Reed Hickerson made Talthybius a character one loved to hate and hated to love.

Paige Marshall, who played Cassandra, commanded the stage with confidence and energy during her character’s monologue. She displayed all of Cassandra’s feelings and thoughts precisely in her performance. Mei-Lan Holland, who played Andromache, also gave an emotional performance of her character’s experience of loss and grief.   

Juniper George and Chris Burns, who played Helen and Menelaus respectively, both have so much range as actors. They expressed their characters’ depth and complexity so distinctively in their portrayals. 

As Menelaus, Burns acts arrogant and unfeeling towards the Women of Troy but later shows vulnerability and is dejected when he sees Helen. Helen has many layers, which makes it difficult to tell if she is sincere or manipulative in her speech to Menelaus. George performed each of Helen’s facets differently and creatively had the audience on the edge of their seats awaiting her character’s fate.

Rebecca Vernooy, director of education for Tantrum Theater, joined the cast as Hecuba. She was a strong leader for the play and gave a powerful performance. 

“The Trojan Women” was a wonderful performance given by a talented cast and crew.

ph758222@ohio.edu