Metal Mondays: The Union is the best of Athens

For many Ohio University students and Athens residents, a weekend night out means bouncing between the bars along Court Street until the early hours of the next day. Although these nights out on Athens’s most popular stretch of road are fun for many, being on Court can be stressful for those not 21 years old or people who don’t enjoy the local bar scene.

That’s where Athens’ best music venue comes in. The Union, located at 18 W. Union St., has been uplifting local bands and pouring drinks since the 1860s and strives to create a positive atmosphere for all the misfits in southeastern Ohio. 

A huge part of The Union’s success is its availability for both OU college students and locals. With cover charges usually hovering around the $8-$10 area and an all-shows 18-plus policy, the legendary rock ‘n’ roll dive certainly makes itself available to the public.

“I think that's just part of the independent venue ethos -- you want shows to be as inclusive as possible,” Richard Linscott, The Union’s brand manager and former general manager, wrote in an email. “Also it would completely suck if your friend’s band was performing and you couldn't come see them.”

Rachel Couch, a bartender at The Union, added that she thinks having an accessible 18-and-up venue in Athens helps prepare people for when they go to bars down the line. Couch also said The Union has tight boundaries on who gets drinks and who doesn’t.

“We don't tolerate underage drinking,” Couch said. “It's the law, and it also is about safety. When someone who is under 21 comes in and they've been drinking and suddenly you have an extremely drunk underage person. We know how to deal with that.”

At many live music venues, especially punk and rock venues, the threat of sexual assault hangs in the air. A previous Metal Mondays column dove more in-depth into the predatory pop-punk music scene, but this is certainly true across rock subgenres. The traditionally degrading lyrical content in rock music has unfortunately manifested itself as gatekeeping and sometimes violence in local scenes.

However, Couch and the other employees at The Union are watchdogs for patrons, ensuring their safety throughout the night.

“I can't even tell you the amount of times I've looked around the room and seen someone that looks too drunk to stand up, and the person they're with is sober and maybe doesn't have their best situation in mind,” she said. “We're very aware of the sexual assault that happens in bars and clubs, and we keep an eye on people.”

Although Athens has some music venues, there are not a lot. Many bands and singers turn unconventional spaces like College Green, Baker University Center and the Athens Skate Park into pseudo venues for performances. Being one of the few traditional venues in the city, The Union plays a massive role in supporting local musicians and giving a space for up-and-coming Athens acts to perform. 

Under different management, there’s a chance The Union would take advantage of its status as an incredibly popular venue in a college town filled to the brim with aspiring musicians. However, The Union does not do this. According to Couch, the bar doesn’t take a cut of merch sales, which is usually a major financial limitation for small touring acts.

“The drinks are the things that keep the lights on,” Couch said. “When we're selling beverages, we're making enough money to make sure that small, independent acts can keep playing.”

The artistry and perseverance needed for being a small band is immense; tons of hard work goes into creating a successful musical operation. Couch said she loves seeing this dedication and knowing that when they perform at The Union, they’re reaping the benefits of their efforts. 

“I see college kids printing T-shirts themselves screen printing at OU using equipment in Seigfried and selling these T-shirts for $15, and it makes me so happy that that money goes directly back to the bands,” she said.

Ultimately, what keeps people coming back to The Union is the fact that it is such a safe space. The venue frequently supports student organizations seeking to create room for people who might not be comfortable in other Athens nightlife hubs. Events like Variant Magazine's Brat Night and the Latino Student Union’s Fiesta Night matched the atmosphere of acceptance The Union aims to maintain every time it opens its doors.

“That's just the magic of The Union,” Linscott wrote in an email. “It's all about the crowd; I think we have a very welcoming, safe crowd. People that aren't looking for that seek out other environments.”

Jackson McCoy is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts? Let Jackson know by emailing or tweeting him at jm049122@ohio.edu or @_jackson_mccoy_.