Alyssa Cruz and Paul Miller last Tuesday in Schoonover 130.

From the Editor’s Desk: The Post is blessed with a rich history, promising future

Although The Post is independent, it would not be able to exist in the capacity it does without the support, guidance and education provided by the faculty of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. The contributions from the school manifest in many ways, whether that be how to write a solid headline or what to do during an ethical dilemma, we are forever grateful for the support.

Last Tuesday, the school was designated and unveiled as a Society of Professional Journalists national historic site. Outside the journalism suite in Schoonover Center, a large plaque is now proudly displayed reading: “Ohio University was created one of the top journalism schools in the country, with an emphasis on practical experience, intellectual exploration and social responsibility. It champions the First Amendment as a vital tool of a robust democracy.”

A reception was held to honor the unveiling and the small entry outside the suite was packed with journalism faculty, Scripps College of Communication faculty, students, notable alumni and Kevin Smith, a past president of SPJ. 

Eddith Dashiell, director of the school, welcomed all the guests in her signature purple and served as emcee for the event. Other speakers at the event included Scott Titsworth, dean of the Scripps College of Communication, as well as Smith. 

Titsworth congratulated the school for its many accomplishments as well as emphasized the important role the state plays in the journalism industry. Smith discussed the school’s commitment to SPJ’s Code of Ethics, citing it as a reason the school has had a distinguished journalism program for so long. The E.W. Scripps School of Journalism joins 111 other locations across the U.S. as a Historic Site in Journalism. 

Among the notable alumni was a special distinguished graduate: Paul Miller, class of 1947. Miller earned a journalism degree from OU as well as served as Sports Editor and Editor of The Post. He celebrated his 100th birthday in February and made the trip down to Athens to see his alma mater be recognized.

Miller was all smiles as he peered up at the audience, a crowd too big for the modest entry of the suite with attendees spilling onto the stairwell and the neighboring hallways. Even under the harsh fluorescent lights, his warmth shone through. 

A big talking point for Miller was how many students were in attendance. 

“I’m just overcome with what I see here,” he said. “I was expecting to be talking to a bunch of old people. I appreciate that you are interested enough in the field to be here.”

Miller went on to talk about his time at OU and what it meant to him, citing his time at The Post as well as his involvement with his fraternity, Phi Kappa Tau, as highlights. 

He joked he had only been at OU for a week before he became Sports Editor. 

“I sat by the radio many Saturdays listening to the game, making notes, so I could write a story for you to read in The Post,” he said. 

After graduation, Miller worked at the Canton Repository, the Akron Beacon Journal and The Marion Star. His accolades include traveling the world as well as receiving national recognition in traffic safety writing. 

More important than journalistic accomplishments, Miller spoke about the important roles his family members played in his life as well as his appreciation for their continued love and support.

After Miller concluded his speech, the entire room was smiling, all amazed by Miller’s accomplishments as well as his nearly eight-decade-long love for the university. 

One can accomplish many things in a century and experience many joys, and it was truly humbling to hear Miller list his time at OU as one of the most cherished parts of his life.

Looking forward, I cannot wait to see what the next 100 years of The Post holds. As the industry continues to evolve and mold with the passage of time, I earnestly hope The Post can continue to hold the same significance to its members as it did for Paul Miller. And, of course, this could not be possible without the guidance of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. Thank you, Scripps. Thank you, Post. Thank you, Mr. Miller. Long live The Post!

Alyssa Cruz is a senior studying journalism and Spanish at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Alyssa by emailing her at editor@thepostathens.com.