Mayor Steve Patterson speaks during the Student Senate meeting in Walter Hall in Athens, Oct. 9, 2024.

Student Senate changes rules, appoints new members

Ohio University’s Student Senate met Wednesday to discuss changes to the rules and procedures and the upcoming accreditation cycle for OU.

The meeting began with a presentation by the Survivor Advocacy Program presented by director Eileen Marshal Koch. 

SAP discussed what being a mandated reporter means. However, the members of SAP are not mandated reporters.

“We certainly don’t want to press for any more details than anything that they are already sharing with you,” Kosh said.

The meeting then transitioned to a presentation on accreditation and gaining official status or recognition for an activity. 

Janelle Hart, Institutional Accreditation Manager, discussed how OU can receive accreditation.

“Any institution can apply for accreditation through the higher learning commission,” Hart said. “The Ohio Learning Commission also accredits all sorts of institutions.”

OU will undergo the accreditation cycle this year using trained peer reviewers who work at other institutions. The reviewers will visit the campus and create a report on OU’s strengths and weaknesses, reaffirming the university’s accreditation.

The criteria for applying for accreditation cover a broad range of topics, including access to resources, quality of resources, and more.

Dan Gordillo, president of the Student Senate, discussed new business being played out for the Senate. 

Two changes to the Senate’s rules and procedures were made, making two-thirds of the Senate’s office hours required to be done in person. The deadline for the judicial panel to submit legislation to the chief of staff for agenda purposes was also extended.

“There’s some policy which is coming to the floor (such as) a bill to support adding your Bobcat ID onto Apple Wallet,” Gordillo said.

Senate also passed resolutions to appoint three new members: a historian, a public relations assistant and an environmental affairs vice commissioner for programming.

jc894619@ohio.edu