Student Senate President Dan Gordillo listens to a speaker during the Student Senate meeting in Walter Hall, in Athens, Sept. 11, 2024.

Student Senate adds new members, establishes one-on-ones

Student Senate passed legislation appointing more new members to various commissions and establishing one-on-one meetings between executive members and commissioners. 

New members were appointed within the University Life, Academic Affairs and International Affairs commissions. 

Senate appointed Kayleigh Meinke as the Fraternity and Sorority Life senator within the University Life commission, taking the position after the meeting adjourned.

“Last year, (Meinke) served on the University Life Commission, and she served it well," President Dan Gordillo said. “Her leadership skills are well needed in the Senate, and I have no doubt in my mind that her transition into this position will be smooth.”

A resolution was also passed to add Sen. Lucas Adkins to the Academic Affairs Commission from the College of Arts and Sciences.

“(Adkins) clearly has the intelligence and work ethic to make a positive impact on this body,” Treasurer Johnny Susany said. “During our interview, he discussed his plans to improve the College of Arts and Sciences. In particular, making it easier to connect advisors and professors. This is the kind of drive and passion the Senate needs, and I look forward to seeing everything he accomplishes.”

Two new members, Zak Flinner and Lola Morana, were both appointed to the International Affairs Commission. Flinner was appointed as a senator and Morana as vice-commissioner. 

Susany said he is excited to see Morana succeed in this position and has full faith in her abilities to move from the Academic Affairs Commission to the International Affairs Commission. He also said he is excited to see all Flinner and the commission will accomplish. 

“(Flinner) has spent years studying the intricacies of global politics during his time in Athens. As an extremely involved member of his high school's Model UN team, he gained valuable leadership skills in the basic knowledge of government procedures,” Susany said. 

The final legislation Senate passed involved codifying one-on-one meetings between Vice President Kiandra Martin and the individual commissioners. 

Associate Justice William Zanotelli was unable to attend the meeting and was the primary sponsor for this resolution, so he had to speak through proxy graduate assistant Carson Sarver.

“I believe this bill is useful to this body, as It codifies the long-standing tradition of the Vice President meeting with the commissioners,” Zanotelli wrote. “This will provide guidance to future vice presidents, as well as ensure that all commissioners are given the proper support in their votes.”

Senator for Accessibility and Accommodation within the Minority Affairs Commission Rees Morris asked about holding meetings even if the commissioner is uncomfortable attending a one-on-one with a vice president.

To this, Gordillo responded that the legislation only requires Senate vice president to hold the meetings but does not require commissioners to attend them. 

Aside from legislation, Senate also heard from civic engagement organizations on campus, including Ohio University College Republicans and the American Civil Liberties Union Campus Action Team of Ohio University.

@paigemafisher

pf585820@ohio.edu