Week 8 Student Media Poll picks from The Post

Each week, the Sports' editorial team selects its Top 25 FBS college football teams for the Student Media Poll.

The SMP is a nationwide poll featuring 97 student journalists from schools nationwide.

The Post Sports will break down its ballots each week. Here are the top five, those dropped from the top 25 and those added.

Logan Adams, Sports Editor

Top Five

1. Texas

2. Oregon

3. Ohio State

4. Penn State

5. Georgia

Nothing major happened at the top this week, right? Other than Oregon beating Ohio State in what was an embarrassing performance for the top defense in the country coming into the weekend. Coaching was the issue in this one for Ohio State, but with Penn State and Indiana on the horizon, it will have opportunities to show it is still a contender for the title.

Georgia is starting to concern me. It is barely scraping out wins against much lesser opponents, first against Kentucky and most recently against a 1-5 Mississippi State team that had no business dropping 31 points. If Georgia slips up late like it did against Alabama, LSU is currently primed to take the five spot. 

Who I dropped: Kentucky, Oklahoma, Nebraska

I was a believer in Kentucky for too long. The defense had been impeccable, allowing 14.5 points per game through six games, but the offense has failed to keep up in high-octane games. Generally, though, it’s been a confusing season, beating Ole Miss, staying competitive with Georgia, then getting embarrassed by South Carolina and Vanderbilt. In the Southeastern Conference, anything is still on the table.

Oklahoma’s offense also has not been the greatest, despite an outlier defensive season for the program’s recent history. The Sooners suffered from having the No. 1 team in the country on their schedule. Nebraska remains a border team coming off a bye-week.

Who I added: Army, Vanderbilt, Michigan

Army has had an incredible season, and its recent bye-week has given me the opportunity to really appreciate that. The schedule isn’t daunting, but the Black Knights have handled business and look head and shoulders above their competition.

Vanderbilt has turned itself into America’s team seemingly overnight, picking up two big SEC wins against Alabama and Kentucky. Will it last? Who knows. Is it worth appreciating? Absolutely. Michigan continues to flip-flop in and out of the rankings as it vies with fellow Big Ten teams Illinois and Nebraska.

Charlie Fadel, Staff Writer

Top Five

1. Texas 

2. Oregon

3. Penn State 

4. Ohio State 

5. Miami (FL)

The big change in my top five stems directly from one of the biggest games of this college football season, a 32-31 Oregon victory over Ohio State. Ohio State drops two spots because of the loss and Oregon takes over No. 2. 

Penn State is in my top three after a comeback thriller against USC; Tyler Warren had the game of his life to help the Nittany Lions pull off the comeback. As for Texas and Miami, they both stay put after an impressive Texas win and a bye week for the Hurricanes.

Who I dropped: Oklahoma, Nebraska, Utah 

Oklahoma looked completely outclassed in this year’s Red River Rivalry against Texas, ultimately falling by a score of 34-3. The Sooners’ first year in the SEC is going as bad as it could be. Nebraska had its bye week and is a fringe team left off to make room for some deserving additions. 

Utah lost in a close game against former PAC-12 and now Big 12 opponent Arizona State. The guesswork with Cam Rising’s availability is getting ridiculous, and it becomes even worse when you look at his stats and realize a 25-year-old college football quarterback is throwing three interceptions in a game. 

Who I added: Army, Vanderbilt, Arizona State

Army is simply taking care of business this season and while the Black Knights had a bye week, they still deserve a rightful place in the top 25. Vanderbilt seems more and more legit by the week, this time beating Kentucky in Lexington. The title of SEC doormat is no longer a fitting one for the Commodores under Clark Lea. 

Arizona State was the victor in the exciting Friday night game against Utah, and Kenny Dillingham’s Sun Devils are now 5-1 with a real shot at a Big 12 title. 

@LoganPAdams

la486821@ohio.edu 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu