Simple Science: The manipulation of fear

The season of fear is here, in more ways than one. Fear is a complex emotion, rooted in primal instincts yet felt in everyday emotions. It can be a powerful manipulation for our entertainment, or to influence our perception and understanding of the world.

Merriam-Webster defines fear as “an unpleasant, often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger.” Scientists agree fear is a primal instinct with a “clear evolutionary purpose” to avoid life-threatening situations. 

Yet, many people experience fear on a daily and mundane basis. Fear ranges from jumping at a spider in your house, refusing to go on an elevator or avoiding public speaking. Fear also includes running from a loud noise and screaming at a sudden change. 

Fear is the response to being afraid, and it is caused by an undefinable number of factors, even those that do not threaten livelihood. Like any emotion, it is meaningless to simply define fear, as emotions are felt and experienced differently by all.

The best way to understand fear is to see how it is incited, specifically in the media we consume. 

The entertainment industry instills fear through music, imagery and sound (or lack thereof). Horror movies create tension through suspense and shock. Jumpscares trigger fight-or-flight responses and gore causes disgust and stress. Even horror literature can get hearts pumping and eyes shifting through stories of monsters and ghouls. 

Despite psychology suggesting we should be against everything horror, people love it. Horror is one of the most successful genres and is only increasing in popularity. Some professionals suggest people’s love for horror may be a way to cope with real life, but many avid horror fans simply watch for enjoyment and the adrenaline rush

Fear, however, is not incited only by directors or creatives, it is also manipulated through the news we consume in our everyday lives. 

The word “fear-mongering” is often thrown around by news outlets and politicians. However, the term’s meaning has a basis in our modern-day news cycle. 

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, fear-mongering is defined as “the action of intentionally trying to make people afraid of something when this is not necessary or reasonable.”

As election season approaches, campaigns ramp up and social media is diluted by red and blue. Policies that generally go unnoticed are spotlit and garner millions of eyes that demand coverage. However, the deluge of information in articles and headlines can make it difficult to sparse.

In response, news outlets look to trigger an emotional response in hopes of receiving more clicks. Fear has tripled, anger has doubled and sadness is up by 50% in headlines since 2000. 

Simply put, these emotionally strong headlines are increasing because they work. Humans are wired to pay attention to potential dangers and threats; we look to strong leaders and communicators to inform and protect us. 

“Election anxiety” became a common phrase during the 2020 election, bolstered by COVID-19 and by a primarily “fear-based campaign,” according to PBS. Though fear has been used throughout history as a political enemy, the manipulation of fear as a motivator has caused recent distrust in voters. 

Distrust and uncertainty lead people to seek out outside sources, but instead of neutral headlines, voters are met with more negativity. The American Psychological Association recommends mitigating the feeling of fear by understanding where it’s coming from and seeking out trustworthy sources of information to rely on.  

Fear is instinctual, complex and powerful. It can be used to shape our perceptions of the world and influence our decision-making, and it can empower us to confront fear with awareness. By making informed decisions, we can be less afraid while navigating the fear-based climate of this season. 

ah875121@ohio.edu

@ahopkins909