An Ohio University patrol car sitting outside Biddle Hall, Sept. 4, 2024, in Athens.

Police Blotter: Accidental alarm activation, vehicle collides with turkey

Report taken for campus damage

Officers from the Ohio University Police Department responded to Tiffin Hall Oct. 8 for destruction of property.

A report was taken for a racial or bias statement written on a dry-erase board in the building, according to OUPD.

Marijuana collection

Deputies responded to Athens High School Oct. 8 to a suspicion of marijuana located inside a Pringles can, according to the Athens County Sheriff’s Office..

According to the Sheriff’s Office, deputies collected the container and took a report.

At this time, an investigation is still pending, according to the Sheriff’s Office. 

Traffic crash reported

According to OUPD, officers responded to 29 Factory St. for a traffic crash Oct. 8.

A report was taken for a traffic crash with no injuries. The driver was driving under OVI suspension and was cited for failure to control the vehicle.

Alleged dispute 

Deputies from the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to Long Run Road in Athens for an alleged dispute from a third party Oct. 8, according to the Sheriff’s Office. 

Upon arrival on the scene, deputies contacted the individuals who said there was no dispute. The individuals stated they were just talking loudly. 

Suspicious activity 

OUPD Officers responded to suspicious activity on OU’s campus Wednesday. 

According to OUPD, a report was taken for a non-threatening but concerning letter received by an organization. 

Accidental alarm call

Deputies responded to a report of a commercial alarm activated in The Plains Wednesday, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Before arriving on the scene, the response was canceled due to an accidental activation by an employee, according to the Athens County Sheriff’s Office.

Dispute regarding repossession

Deputies responded to the Coolville area for a report of a dispute between a tow truck driver and a property owner Wednesday, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the tow truck driver was attempting to repossess property from the owner.

After the deputies spoke with each party, they advised the tow truck driver he would need a court order for assistance from law enforcement.

Turkey involved in an accident

According to the Sheriff's Office, deputies responded to a turkey motor vehicle accident Wednesday. 

The response took place at State Route 550 in Amesville, where a report was taken on the incident.

Trespassing at county fairgrounds

Deputies responded to the Athens County Fairgrounds for a trespassing complaint Wednesday, according to the Sheriff’s Office. 

Deputies spoke with the complainant, who said an individual was camping on the grounds and refused to pay the camping fee. 

After speaking with the individual camping, he left without incident, and no further action was taken.

Deceased deer in roadway

Deputies located a deceased deer in the roadway Thursday in Athens Township, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

After the carcass was removed from obstructing a travel lane, patrol resumed. 

Report of custody dispute

According to the Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to the Coolspot in Coolville for a custody dispute Thursday.

Once deputies arrived, they were able to determine there was a copy of the court order of custody on hand, according to the Sheriff’s Office. 

The child was returned to the mother willingly, and no further actions were needed.

Alarm at forest HQ

Deputies responded to the Wayne National Forest Headquarters for an automated alarm Thursday, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Upon arrival on the scene, deputies found the building was secure and returned to patrol. 

Report of overdose

Deputies responded to Bowman Road in Coolville for a report of an overdose Thursday, according to the Sheriff’s Office. 

Deputies arrived on the scene and spoke with multiple people there, determining it was an overdose of medication.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the individual was transported to a local hospital to complete a requested mental health evaluation. 

@emthegemmy 

es542222@ohio.edu