Kickin’ with Kyra: Indoor plants provide benefits

The cold weather is lurking in and working inside can sometimes feel agonizing. One may wish of being outside, and this is something that has the potential to be fixed. Bringing the outside indoors may have many positive effects. Having plants around the house can be a form of decoration, a mood booster and can have multiple health benefits. They can also teach certain levels of responsibility when caring for another form of life.

If someone is going to brighten up a simple room, a plant is an easy way. Head to a nursery or garden center for a new addition to the family. Plants bring a level of energy to a room and can even be a conversation starter. 

When looking into what plants to buy, there are many options. The Philodendron plant can survive well indoors. These plants could be a good option for those who might not trust themselves to take care of a difficult plant. There are also varying forms of the Philodendron to choose from. 

Another option is a Spider plant. They have thin, sharper leaves and are also not challenging to care for. An artificial plant is another option if someone is looking for the green, vibrant feel of a plant. However, fake plants don’t bring the same level of nature. These plants are a few ways to make a room feel welcoming and bright.

Plants can be good for the mind as well. They provide a feeling of being outdoors, which can be a mood booster. This includes potentially reducing stress. The Washington Post reported on studies that show that when people are in the presence of plants, they feel more peaceful and happier. 

Another study reported by Time discussed and focused on attention spans. The results demonstrated that being in the presence of a real plant increased concentration compared to those with no plants, pictures of a plant or a fake plant. Other research demonstrated that kids performed better in selective attention when surrounded by a wall of plants.

The Time article also went over the fact that there was an increase in plant interest during the time of the COVID-19 quarantine. Plants may increase feelings of happiness, peace and focus. They benefit the indoors and can help with mental health when stuck inside.

Plants also give purpose and teach responsibility. It isn’t a very high-stakes responsibility, but having something to take care of is a huge benefit to life. There are many different pieces to taking care of a plant, whether that is potting it, watering it or making sure it is getting the correct amount of sunlight. These are all ways in which someone can connect to a piece of nature and nurture it. Having a sense of responsibility mixed with purpose can allow someone to grow.

There have been many studies done to understand the benefits of houseplants. Overall, plants are not just meant to be outside. Plants teach responsibility, are beautiful decorations and can bring happiness to those around them. When feeling trapped between four walls, turn a living room into a mini garden to enhance life inside.

Kyra Dapore is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kyra know by emailing her at kd364521@ohio.edu.