The volleyball players that arent currently playing cheering on their teammates while playing against Kent State, Oct. 22, 2024.

Volleyball: Makenna Schafer’s moment comes at right time

A loss for Ohio (9-11, 5-4 Mid-American Conference) to Kent State (1-18, 0-9 MAC) at home would have been devastating. 

The Bobcats, even while harboring a younger team than they had in previous years, carry post-season expectations every year. Each game is ramping up in importance, and losing to the Golden Flashes, who entered on a 14-match losing streak, comes with major implications for Ohio’s upcoming games against neck-and-neck opponents lining the remainder of its schedule.

Ohio came in with a purpose and, despite some sloppy play, executed. Leading the way were the usual suspects as sophomore Kam Hunt and junior Anna Kharchynska, who rank first and fourth in the MAC in kills, led the team in the category.

Just below the Bobcats’ heaviest hitter was a less likely name: senior Makenna Schafer. Coming into the match, Schafer had recorded just five kills on the season. However, with depleted depth and Ohio coach Geoff Carlston willing to try new looks to get every win he can, Schafer was looking to create moments for Ohio. She did just that.

“(Makenna) just brings a different arm swing,” Carlston said. “There’s not a lot of swings like Makenna’s because she hits the ball so hard and so flat, and she’s just more physical.”

More than her swing, though, Carlston looked to Schafer’s size to give his team’s opponent a different look. Against a weaker team in Kent State, with crucial matchups on the horizon, Carlston is taking time to look at all his options.

“We thought teams were attacking that side of the court, particularly against (5-foot-7) Darbi (Ricketts),” Carlston said. “Darbi is doing a lot of great things, especially for a freshman, but it’s nice to have that as an option to come in and have a 6-foot-1 kid … and (Makenna) did great.”

Schafer came up with swing after swing when Ohio needed it, finishing with a career-high seven kills on a team-best .462 hitting percentage. More important than the number, however, was the moment.

Schafer finished with just one kill in the first set, coming in when the Bobcats were down 9-5, and staying in until the end of the set, which the Bobcats would win 25-23.

The second set was far more productive for Schafer, who would net four kills without an error in the set alone. Ohio went to win 25-15, largely due to Schafer’s ability to bury swings when it mattered.

Schafer would record three more kills throughout the final two sets, each carrying weight. However, despite the limited opportunities before the match, Schafer stayed ready.

“My role for the past four years has been always being prepared to step up and make a play when I need to,” Schafer said. “Being able to be thrown into any lineup and trying to do the best I can.”

The win against Kent State, while on the surface merely extended the away team’s losing streak to 15, means far more to Ohio as the team stands on the outside fighting into the MAC Tournament. 

Had Ohio won its Friday matchup against Ball State, the team would be firmly tied with Toledo and Eastern Michigan for fourth in the standings, Ball State two games behind. However, now the team sits seventh, on the outside due to an overall record with a gauntlet ahead of it.

“We have eight matches against teams that are ahead of us,” Carlston said. “... Those are pivotal matches. We’re lucky that we’re 5-4, but all the teams that are ahead of us we play them twice.”

Eight of Ohio’s final nine games will be against four of the MAC’s top five teams. The team will look to get as many moments as it can out of players like Schafer to get every win it can.

@LoganPAdams

la486821@ohio.edu