Ohio opposite hitter Anna Kharchynska (1) sets up to bump the ball against Ball State at The Convo in Athens, Oct. 18, 2024.

Volleyball: Everything to know before Ohio plays Kent State

Volleyball will return to Convocation Center Tuesday when Ohio (8-11, 4-4 Mid-American Conference) hosts Kent State (1-17, 0-8 MAC). Ohio is coming off another weekend split having taken a 3-2 loss to Ball State before defeating Miami 3-1.

On the other hand, Kent State had early struggles throughout this season that have continued into MAC contests. They have lost their last 14 matches and are winless in conference play.

Here’s everything to know ahead of the matchup.

Game Information

Opponents: Kent State

Location: The Convocation Center (Athens, Ohio)

Time(s): Tuesday at 6 p.m.

Where to watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here.

Players to watch (Ohio): Bryn Janke and Chariti McKellar

In the absence of sophomore setter Leah Shumate, Ohio primarily ran Janke, a freshman, and McKellar, a junior, as the team’s setters. In the team’s last games against Miami and Ball State, the setters ran relatively even in assists. Janke recorded 48, while McKellar tallied 41, totaling 89 on the weekend.

Ohio will look to continue to get contributions from its setters to help set up its talented hitters on the outside.

Player to watch (Kent State): Mackenzie McGuire

McGuire is the floundering Flashes’ primary offensive weapon, recording 135 kills. While the number would rank third on Ohio’s team, closer to Janke, Ohio’s setter’s total of 14 kills than Ohio’s leader, Kam Hunt, and her 299 total kills, it should be noted that Kent State has played far fewer sets, winning just 11 sets in 18 matches.

However, to limit Kent State, Ohio will need to limit McGuire.

ol415422@ohio.edu