Kendall Hickey (2) serves the ball during the Ohio University vs The University of Toledo volleyball game at The Convo, Oct. 5, 2024.

Volleyball: What to know ahead of Eastern Michigan

Ohio (8-11, 5-4 Mid-American Conference) came away with a dominant win against the MAC’s last-placed Kent State (1-18, 0-9 MAC) as it enters its toughest stretch of the season. Eight of the Bobcats’ last nine games will be played against teams outranking them in the conference. The first doubleheader will be played against Eastern Michigan.

Here’s everything to know ahead of the matchup:

Series Information

Opponent: Eastern Michigan (12-11, 6-3 MAC)

Location: Gervin GameAbove Center (Ypsilanti, Michigan)

Time(s): Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 4 p.m.

Where to Watch: ESPN+

History: Ohio leads 17-3

Follow live stats here

Eastern Michigan Notes

Eastern Michigan has played its best stretch of the season in MAC play. Despite this, the Eagles have just barely won more sets than they’ve lost, netting 18 of its 35 in conference play. It's been a mixed batch of matchups, but the majority are either hard-fought wins or sweeps, as all three of Eastern Michigan’s MAC losses have come in sweeps. Even in lost sets, though, it's been difficult for teams to keep the Eagles and its high-powered offense under 20 points.

Ohio Notes

Ohio finally has a few days to marinate above .500 in MAC play. However, its second matchup against Kent State will be the only remaining match Ohio plays against a team below it in the standings. This final stretch will be the young Bobcats’ biggest challenge as Ohio coach Geoff Carlston continues to experiment with lineups. Ohio has been heavily reliant on sophomore Kam Hunt’s ability to impact the game on both sides, as well as the power of junior Anna Kharchynska on the outside. In this stretch, Ohio will look to get more out of the rest of its roster.

Player to Watch (EMU): Hatteras Welker

As a freshman, Welker leads the MAC in blocks from the middle of Eastern’s defense, as the first player in the conference to eclipse 100 total blocks. In the last three games alone, Welker’s contributed 23 of those 100 blocks. Ohio will need to find a way to power through the 6-foot-2 middle blocker as Carlston attempts to diversify his offensive attack.

@LoganPAdams

la486821@ohio.edu