Kam Hunt (23) spikes the ball during the Ohio University vs The University of Toledo volleyball game at The Convo, Oct. 5, 2024.

Volleyball: Ohio strives to keep energy up

Although Ohio (6-9, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) closes out its matches against Toledo (10-7, 3-2 MAC) with a win and a loss, the team had a clear shift in the match’s dynamic following an incredible first set, where Toledo would not see double digits. 

The Rockets came back to bite Ohio in set four, ending the match 25-23 after what seemed like a comfortable lead for the Bobcats. Ohio coach Geoff Carlston emphasized tightening up on defense for next weekend. 

“We know when we serve the ball well and pass at a high level, and that's where we spent a lot of time,” Carlston said. “I thought our defense wasn't nearly as crisp. I mean, we got out blocked, we got out hit, we got out dug … So our offense was OK, wasn't awesome.”

Set one for Ohio was what Carlston called a “near perfect” for the Bobcats, with a total of 18 kills and two service aces from the team during that set alone. Additionally, the only error Ohio would make during the entire set would be a missed serve from Leah Shumate. 

Ohio kept Toledo from scoring higher than 2 points the majority of the game, leading by leaps and bounds. It would appear the Bobcats would have an incredible match to follow after keeping the Rockets far away at 25-7. 

However, this was not the case, and an intense shift in Ohio’s defense would cost it the remainder of the game.

Carlston said it was an unfortunate day for the team as a whole, dropping off in set two.

“We didn't serve as tough, we didn't play as gritty, and they did,” Carlston said. “I mean, kudos to Toledo … We'll go back and watch some film. I don't know if there's anything tactical. Again, I think they just played at a higher level.”

Ohio would skyrocket to a total of 15 errors in set three, and while Toledo wouldn’t run away with the set as the Bobcats did in set one, the number of errors was enough of a dynamic shift to give the Rockets a boost in the match.

Toledo showed up at the net and on defense, with a total of eight blocks and 44 digs to Ohio’s three and 39. Several scrappy rallies back and forth would end in the Rockets’ favor, ultimately giving them the drive. Toledo players and fans would additionally take over the volume in The Convo, staying consistently loud and proud after each play.

With such a quick turnaround for next weekend in Kalamazoo, Michigan, the Bobcats will need to keep its momentum from set one to the very end. Staying energetic and finishing sets after a comfortable lead will be a key component to more wins for Ohio. 

“We have a short turnaround, and we had some kids take a lot of swings,” Carlston said. “Keep focusing on the serve in the passing. I think our blocking, in some ways, was better, some ways wasn't. So we just got to go back and work on that.”

abbyjenks18

aj205621@ohio.edu