Ohio University's Noah Holt (9) goes for the puck at the game against Iowa State at Bird Ice Arena, Feb. 3, 2024, in Athens.

Hockey: Numbers to know from Ohio's split series against Minot State

Ohio’s (5-2) road trip to Minot, North Dakota, proved worthwhile as it split its series against number-one ranked Minot State. The two teams have held a heated rivalry since their first meeting in 2022, with Minot earning only its second win against Ohio in the Saturday game of the series.

Friday night saw an intense matchup between the Bobcats and the Beavers, with a nail-biting overtime battle that ended in the Bobcats’ favor. Despite the long flight and being unable to practice on its home ice, Ohio still managed to pull out a win in its weekend of games.

Here are the numbers you need to know from the series:

16

Defender Spencer Schons, No. 16, isn’t usually the hero. Though he’s always been a useful defensive presence for the Bobcats, he’s rarely looked to when the opportunity to score game-winning goals arises, much less in overtime. However, that story differed on Friday night, as Schons skated towards the side of the net, avoiding the defenders and keeping his eyes right where he wanted them; on the goal.

With 3:24 left in overtime, Schons slid the puck right into the side of the net, earning Ohio its well-fought Friday night victory.

34

Scott Bird is only in his second season with Ohio but is slowly starting to prove that he cannot be counted out in the net.

With 34 saves and a 97% save percentage, Bird was instrumental in helping secure the Bobcats victory. Bird only played in four games total last season, but the two he has already played this season have been victories. One of those was even a shutout, earning him a 100% SVP in the stat book. Bird is certainly a player to keep an eye on.

4-2

Saturday night was not as kind to Ohio. With Minot coming out on top, it was only the second win the team had ever gotten against Ohio. The last time the game was decided by a margin of two goals, Ohio came out on top. Most games between Minot and Ohio come down to the wire, with none being decided by a margin of more than three goals.

Minot was on fire after its overtime loss and used that to propel itself to a win.

ee646020@ohio.edu

@ErionEmma

Emma Erion

Managing Editor