Ohio University Aiden Grieco (21), trying to get the puck with his stick during the game against Liberty at Bird Arena, in Athens, Ohio, Feb. 9, 2024.

Hockey: What to know before Ohio takes on Maryville

After starting off the season with a sweep against Kent State, Ohio takes on a tough opponent in its second series this weekend as it travels to Maryville.

Match Information:

Location: Chesterfield, Missouri

Venue: Maryville University Hockey Center

Time: 8:15 p.m. on Friday, 5:45 p.m. on Saturday

Ohio Notes:

Ohio was able to start the season off the way it wanted when it traveled to Kent State and earned a sweep in its opening series, winning game one by a score of 4-1 and game two by a score of 5-1. 

The Bobcats played well from start to finish and were rewarded with a series sweep in their first series of the year. Against Maryville, the team will look for similar success. 

Marville Notes:

Maryville comes in on a three-game winning streak with an overall record of 5-0-1. Its last game was on September 26th against Midland where the team recorded a 3-0 victory, earning its first shutout of the year. 

Maryville’s biggest strength is its scoring 27 goals in its first six games of the young season. The Maryville offense will take on an Ohio defense that has been good so far, only allowing two goals in its first two games. 

Players to Watch Ohio

The player to way for the Bobcats is sophomore right winger Noah Holt. 

Holt played incredibly well in the Bobcat's final game of the Kent State series. He scored two goals in the Bobcats' 5-1 win and has been a major piece of the Bobcats second forward line. If Ohio wishes for another positive performance against Maryville this weekend, they will need another positive performance from Noah Holt and the forwards.

Player to Watch Maryville 

The player to watch from Maryville is junior defenseman Colt Corpse. In the five games he has played in thus far, Corpse has recorded two goals, four assists and 6 points. Corpse has had an exceptional start to the season and has rightfully earned his spot as an anchor on the team’s blue line.

Cp497521@ohio.edu