Ohio goalie Justin Damon (1) Defends the goal against Syracuse University, Nov. 3, 2023 in Bird Ice Arena.

Hockey: Ohio breaks early season advance with 5-2 loss to Jamestown

Ohio (4-1) looked to continue its early dominance in the 2024-25 season, hoping to score an upset against undefeated Jamestown (9-0) and repeat the victory the team took in the 2023 ACHA tournament. However, the Bobcats couldn't pull together an offense or defense that could match the Jimmies, ultimately resulting in a 5-2 loss. 

Here are the numbers to know from the team’s loss.

8

Jamestown had exactly eight more attempted shots on goal than Ohio, putting pressure on goalies Max Karlenzig and Garrett Alderman. Ohio’s offense struggled to move at the same pace as Jamestown’s, ultimately falling short of scoring what the team needed to pull ahead at any point in the match. Although Alex Mazzuca and Luc Reeve broke through the impressive Jimmies' defense, the Bobcats never quite had the same offensive energy they had during previous matches. In a competitive match, eight shots can be the difference between a victory and a loss, something Ohio learned Thursday.

24

Karlenzig’s 24 saves over 42 minutes were not enough to stop Jamestown from winning, but look good on paper compared to Jamestown goalie Brandon Weare’s 27 saves over the entire 60-minute run time. Karlenzig has only played one other game this season as a goalie, leading the Bobcats’ defense in their smooth 4-0 matchup against Maryville where he saved all six shots on goal. The senior created a powerful presence on goal against Jamestown despite the loss.

7

The Bobcats had seven costly penalties Thursday, compared to the four penalties in its match against Maryville where the team took an early lead and never looked back; this is a somewhat significant increase. Ohio’s frustration while playing was evident, and playing against multiple tough opponents with no home games for the foreseeable future certainly isn’t helping. The Bobcats’ next matches will hopefully see a decrease in penalties.

jm049122@ohio.edu