Sasha Dikotla (14) Foward on Ohio University's Feild Hockey team looks for the ball at Pruitt Field in Athens, OH on Sept. 29, 2023.

Field Hockey: Ohio falls 2-1 in overtime to Kent State

Ohio (5-9, 2-4 Mid-American Conference) hosted Kent State (5-10, 4-2 MAC) and looked to pick up back-to-back wins in the MAC after a win against Bellarmine last week. The Bobcats were left in shock after Kent State won by a goal in overtime. 

In the first two periods, the game was a competitive ping-pong match, with each team constantly changing possession of the ball. Both teams continually fought and intercepted each other’s passes until Kent State’s Agustina Florio scored the game's first goal late in the first half.

The first half ended with Kent State outshooting the Bobcats five to three. Loetze made three saves in the first half. The second half was a different story for the Bobcats, as they responded in the third period with a goal by senior Bodhi Littlefield in the 37th minute, assisted by junior Anouk Plaehm. 

“We didn’t press Anouk a lot and it was pretty smart because she can burn anyone and can help push the pockets,” Ohio coach Ali Johnstone said. 

The Bobcats' defense increased the intensity in the second half, adding seven saves. The Bobcats played tough defense, deflecting Kent State’s passes and keeping them out of position. 

“We changed our shape; I thought we were being too predictable, so we changed shape so we could get our center forward to press pockets more,” Johnstone said. 

The fourth period saw incredible play from Loetze, including back-to-back saves with five minutes to play in regulation and another save with 48 seconds left in regulation, which forced overtime. 

The Bobcats began overtime with possession and the first opportunity, but they failed to convert. Littlefield's shot was blocked, causing a penalty corner. The Bobcats' second opportunity was a shot by Plaehn but was saved by freshman goalie Lieve Jansen. 

The Flashes moved quickly after the save, sending a quick pass to Arden Goddard-Despot. She sent a full-field pass downfield, which was saved on a sliding out-of-bounds shot by Eva Usoz out of the reach of Loetze.

Littlefield finished the game with a team-leading one goal, two shots on goal, and three shots.

“I lost track of how many times (Littlefield) was in their circle,” Johnstone said. “She didn’t want to lose the game; she’s feisty and fiery. It was awesome.” 

Johnstone’s message going forward was to “Pick up the pieces, play a little bit better being in the right places and shapes… It comes down to finishing opportunities and not beating ourselves up; I was proud of how they played to the last second.”

jh269721@ohio.edu