Sasha Dikotla (14) Foward on Ohio University's Feild Hockey team looks for the ball at Pruitt Field in Athens, OH on Sept. 29, 2023.

Field Hockey: What to know before Ohio hosts Kent State

Ohio (5-8, 2-3 in Mid-American Conference) hosts Kent State (3-10, 2-2 MAC) Sunday and looks to bounce back after getting shut out by Penn State 5-0. The Bobcats look to bring back their offensive aggressiveness against Bellarmine last Friday where they won 3-1 and outshot the Knights 16-6. 

Here’s everything to know before the game.

Match Information

Opponent: Kent State 

Location: Pruitt Field (Athens, Ohio)

Time: Sunday at noon

Where to watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here.

Ohio Notes 

The Bobcats are coming off a week in which they won in conference play against the Bellarmine Knights. The Bobcats attacked the goal ten times, compared to the Knights' two. The team prevented one goal on six shots. 

The Bobcats come into this game second in the MAC in saves (41) and fourth in save percentage (.745). With three games remaining, all in conference play, and a fight for the final spot in the playoffs every conference win matters. 

Kent State Notes 

The Golden Flashes travel into Athens tied for fourth in the MAC at 2-2 with Ball State. They are coming off a 3-0 loss to No. 4 Ohio State, in which freshman goalie Lieve Jansen had five saves on nine shots against the Buckeyes. Their save percentage of .723 is ranked fourth in the MAC, while on offense, they have the lowest scoring average of .924. 

Player to Watch 

Sasha Dikolta is the player to watch for the Bobcats after scoring a goal in the team’s last MAC matchup against the Knights, where she put up three shots on goal. She is tied for the most goals on the team (four) and holds the most shots with 10. She ranks 10th in goals, 14th in average goal percentage, and 15th in points (9) in MAC. She looks to continue her offensive success in these last four games and help lead the Bobcats to a conference tournament berth. 

jh269721@ohio.edu