‘Nobody Wants This’ showcases a real, raw relationship

The newest series to reach Netflix, “Nobody Wants This,” has stolen fans' hearts. Starring Kristen Bell and Adam Brody, the ten-episode season showcases real-life romance. It is witty and cheesy and shows the ins and outs of a relationship that brings baggage to the table.

What sets “Nobody Wants This” apart from other shows on Netflix in the same genre, such as “Emily in Paris” and “Never Have I Ever,” is its classic rom-com formula. The premise mirrors cult romantic-comedy classics but in a bingeable TV episode format. 

The romantic comedy genre would not exist without cheesiness. While “Nobody Wants This” is brilliant overall, but it is a Netflix production filled with tacky dialogue. The dialogue can feel too surface-level and forced at times. However, Brody and Bell’s connection on screen is undeniable and keeps the audience wanting more. 

Bell plays Joanne, a sex podcaster with a terrible track record with romance, yet she is already stirring up the perfect rom-com story. Her love interest is the Jewish rabbi Noah (Brody), who makes absolutely no sense for her to date. The formula makes for a perfect fumble into love, full of family troubles and drama. 

Brody captures audiences like he did in his ‘90s hit show “The O.C.” His character is sweet, charming and utterly patient. One of the marks the show hits is balancing the narrative between playing on stereotypes of Judaism while showing some of the true aspects.

Noah is far from perfect, and part of the show’s conflict is figuring out how to date Joanne, who is not Jewish. The raw and real show of the difficulty in blending faith is refreshing to see on screen and brings vulnerability to an otherwise typical romantic story. 

Bell is meant to play Joanne and is relatable in every aspect. On-screen, Joanne constantly worries about Noah, seeking reassurance about his texts back to her and learning how to be truly vulnerable with someone. Everyone, specifically Generation Z viewers, needs to see the trust issues present in the show.

Relationships are expected to be perfect with little narrative about the challenges along the way in the age of social media. “Nobody Wants This” correctly highlights the anxious and avoidant attachment styles in Joanne’s character and shows how complicated yet freeing it can be to fall in love.

It is beautiful to highlight a character finding love in a secure, safe man on-screen. It is vital to show younger audiences it is possible and worth it. Fans have flocked to social media to praisethe show for showcasing this.

The show is set in present times and includes many references to mainstream media. At times, episodes include too many nods to pop culture and slang words in an attempt to be relatable. The overall idea of the female lead being a podcaster may also not age well.

Joanne hosts her podcast with her sister Morgan. The two share one of the best dynamics on the show constantly bickering, yet deeply devoted to each other. Her day job also leads to some pretty hilarious moments, such as going to a sex shop on her first date with Noah and talking about her father’s sex life with his new boyfriend post-divorce with her mom. 

Messy family dynamics are certainly a common theme in this show. Noah has his fair share of funny and awkward family moments. His mother and father are shown on screen as “traditionally Jewish” and adhere to the procedures and rules of Judaism, which in this show, includes disapproving of his new non-Jewish girlfriend. Noah’s dynamic with his parents showcases generational differences and a journey toward understanding. 

Noah’s family includes his brother Sasha and his wife Esther. Sasha and Esther’s dynamic is one of the most surprising aspects of the show. She is best friends with Noah’s ex, who is opinionated, loud and abrasive at first. He is about as close as it gets to a man-child yet hilariously lovable. Their relationship is funny and dysfunctional. While in the background, it manages to grasp the heart as the show progresses. 

“Nobody Wants This” is cheesy and follows the classic romantic comedy formula. It has awkward run-ins, crazy family dynamics, hilarious moments and two characters who may not be perfect on paper but are meant to be, on screen.

The show is at the top of Netflix’s charts and a fan favorite on social media. It is worth the watch for its genuine show of vulnerability and realness. 

@clara_leder  

cl125221@ohio.edu