Alex Baumann, guitarist for Telekinetic Yeti, hypnotizes audiences with the duo’s stoner rock sound.

Bands rock out at The Union for Homecoming weekend

To celebrate Homecoming weekend, The Union, located at 18 W. Union St., hosted four nights of jaw dropping performances and events. From an electrifying rave to psychedelic stoner rock, each night brought in crowds of people who lined Union Street hoping for their chance to get in. 

Wednesday - punk and blues

Wednesday night brought in three bands who drew the older crowd, attracting parents and alumni alike. Gamma Ray and The Sueves opened for the legendary Jon Spencer. 

Gamma Ray, a self proclaimed “snot rock” band out of Columbus, has been making its way onto the Ohio music scene these last few years. With an EP and multiple singles released, the band is quickly gaining popularity. After the remarkable show Wednesday night, fans can only hope to see them back in Athens soon.

The Sueves, an underground punk band out of Chicago that formed in 2011, has been tearing up venues since their inception. With three albums and an EP, The Sueves’ hardcore tones and sharp edgy vocals are reminiscent of bands like The Clash, Misfits and Minor Threat, giving the middle finger to the world at every show. 

Spencer is a legendary name with an even more legendary sound. The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion has been putting out distinct punky blues since the ‘90s and even had its top song “Bellbottoms” featured in the opening scene of the 2017 film “Baby Driver.” It was no surprise when Spencer proved he owned Athens Wednesday night. His energy shook the venue and branded his name into the minds of every soul in the crowd. 

union-bar-music-review

The Sueves bring punk rock to the stage as an opener Wednesday night.

Thursday - rave, rave, rave?

BrickLife Entertainment was back for round two with another Union Rave, bringing more energy and even more electric EDM music featuring many people’s favorite BrickLife DJs. With a Snag sponsorship and other giveaways, this event had the OU community lined up down Union Street and all the way down Court Street. The excitement left everyone anticipating part three of a rave.

Friday - skate rock and shoegaze

Friday night was proof that no one steps up more than the local Athens bands. When The Laughing Chimes opener Bomb Bunny didn’t show, local band Learner stepped in, controlling the situation and further proving Athens bands do it best. 

Learner, a mellow skate rock band from Athens that released its first album “Toss (demos)” in August, set the vibe for Friday. The band showed The Union why it deserves a spot in the Athens music scene. The band’s mellow calming tones resonate and stick to listeners, and any Athens resident must experience seeing the group live. 

Brothers Evan and Quinn Seurkamp, Avery Bookman and Ella Franks of The Laughing Chimes released their first album titled “In This Town” in 2021. Since then, they have released several EPs under Slumberland Records, a recording label based out of San Francisco, California. The band has developed a unique sound that resonates with Brit pop indie bands such as The Smiths, The Stone Roses and My Bloody Valentine. Friday night showed Athens that The Laughing Chimes mark has been made.

the-union-music-review-bars

Jonas Hoelzle of skate rock band Leaner performs for a crowd at The Union Friday night. 

Saturday - stoner metal 

Saturday night brought in three recognizable bands: Athens's very own Cranberry Casket, Bonginator and Telekinetic Yeti.

Cranberry Casket, an indie band that opened the show, has made a mark in the Athens music scene and made it clear the band has a unique quality. Evan Seurkamp of The Laughing Chimes made a comment about the band back in January for Athens News

“They're one of those bands that not very many people have heard yet,” Seurkamp said. “I think they'll be one of the biggest bands in Athens.”

Cranberry Casket is a band that gets better and better with every show, with nothing stopping them. 

No band is quite like Bonginator, a stoner death metal group out of New England. The band ripped The Union to shreds with mosh pits, screaming, anger and the hint of weed in every song. The music is a testimony to rage and marijuana, and the sound is indescribable so people should listen with caution. 

Telekinetic Yeti is a psychedelic stoner metal band that originated in Iowa. This duo left everyone in shock by controlling the minds of patrons Saturday. With two highly reviewed albums, the two-man group has been on the rise and will take over the metal scene.

With eight bands and a rave, The Union never skimps when it comes to quality, showing this town who is boss. Anticipated fans can look forward to more shows and events coming soon.

tc258922@ohio.edu