The Bobcats took on the Zips during the teams' homcoming game in Peden Stadium, Sept. 28, 2024.

Football: What to know for the Battle of the Bricks against Miami

Ohio (4-2 overall, 2-0 Mid-American Conference) will travel to Oxford, Ohio, Saturday for a game against Miami, one of the biggest games on its schedule. The Battle of the Bricks is always a closely contested game, and this year should be no different, even with Miami’s disappointing record of 2-4. 

The Bobcats are coming off two straight conference wins against Akron and Central Michigan to stay atop the MAC conference rankings. A win over Miami would firmly cement Ohio at the top of those rankings. 

Here is the rundown for Ohio’s rivalry matchup against Miami at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. 

Head coach

2024 marks the tenth year at the helm of Miami’s football program for head coach Chuck Martin. The Illinois native took over a Redhawks team that went 0-12 in 2013 and has since won two MAC titles in 2019 and 2023.  

Martin is just 3-6 against Ohio in his Miami tenure, but he has won three of the last five meetings against the Bobcats. 

Quarterback

Ohio fans will not have to worry about Aveon Smith leading Miami to victory again this year, as the junior quarterback transferred to Alabama A&M in the offseason. 

This time around it will be Brett Gabbert, the younger brother of former NFL quarterback Blaine Gabbert. The younger of the Gabbert brothers missed last year’s Battle of the Bricks after a scary leg injury.

This year he is back for Miami and currently has 1,384 yards, nine touchdowns and seven interceptions this season. 

Running backs

The transfer portal has changed who will be leading the ground game for the Redhawks as Rashad Amos transferred to Mississippi State this offseason. 

The running back duo of Keyon Mozee and Jordan Brunson leads the Miami rushing attack this year. Mozee is the lead back, going for 314 yards and one touchdown this season, while Brunson follows him with 149 yards and one touchdown. 

Wide receivers 

The Miami weapons are led by returner and former Michigan State wideout Cade McDonald. The redshirt senior has 382 yards and one touchdown so far, which is more yards than he had in all of last season. 

Junior Reggie Virgil and redshirt sophomore Javon Tracy are next in line on the Redhawks' depth chart for wide receivers. Virgil has 320 yards and three touchdowns this season, while Tracy has 287 yards and two touchdowns. 

Defense 

Miami has had a stout defense up to this point in the season, ranking third in the MAC in scoring defense, allowing 22 points per game. They also rank 6th in the MAC in total defense, allowing 372 yards per game. 

The standout player on Miami’s defense is sixth-year senior Matt Salopek. The Kent, Ohio native has 53 total tackles, three tackles for loss and one interception this season. He is a force in the middle of the defense and is a player for whom Ohio will have to gameplan. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu