Lately with Layne: Local journalism is crucial during disasters

As Hurricane Helene destroyed neighborhoods in North Carolina in September, the public gained a much-needed awareness of how crucial local journalists are to their communities. Local journalism, especially in the wake of disaster, is largely valued by the communities it exists in and provides information people otherwise wouldn’t have access to. 

As major news outlets are viewed negatively, trust and loyalty have settled in local journalism. According to the Pew Research Center, both Democrats and Republicans agree the journalists in their communities are doing their jobs well, which is in stark contrast with political divides in national media. 

The classification for “doing their jobs well” includes four core principles of journalism: reporting accurately, being transparent, covering the most important stories and keeping track of local elected officials. By abiding by journalistic principles crucial to readers, local journalism can thrive in a world where the industry is becoming less trusted. 

The same study also concluded, “... the vast majority of U.S. adults (85%) say local news outlets are at least somewhat important to the well-being of their local community. This includes 44% who say local journalism is extremely or very important to their community.” 

As media consumption trends change and digital news becomes the best way to reach most audiences, local newspapers have had to adjust low budgets. However, these entities have evidently remained important to the cities and towns they serve, even in times of adjustment and readership decline. 

The coverage of Hurricane Helene and its impact on North Carolina neighborhoods will continue to positively impact community opinions about local journalism. Journalists in North Carolina, while experiencing power outages and destruction in their own lives, worked to provide a great service in times of uncertainty: information. 

One newspaper in Asheville, North Carolina, the Asheville Citizen-Times, spearheaded a text messaging service that sent questions from the community directly to journalists and provided updates about the storm from the paper. 

National media have an abundance of information to share daily. Because newspapers such as the Asheville Citizen-Times can focus on one area, they can better report and provide services their readers need. 

And it wasn’t just the Asheville Citizen-Times. Poynter reported that Hurricane Helene survivors are consistently turning to local news for the information they need most. 

Poynter reported, “That includes the nonprofit Asheville Watchdog, which is already asking tough and necessary questions about response time. The Asheville Citizen-Times started offering text message updates. Spanish language nonprofit Enlace Latino NC posts critical information about food, water and FEMA assistance. Multicultural newspaper The Urban News directed people to a Starlink station so they could contact family. And Shannan Bowen, executive director of the North Carolina News Workshop, is organizing pooled resources to help newsrooms in Western North Carolina.”

Local journalists are community members, too. They understand first-hand what their neighbors are experiencing, and they are able to call out slow response times and provide information about FEMA assistance that is useful for them as well. 

The local coverage of Hurricane Helene was far more inclusive and applaudable than the national coverage. It employed journalistic principles and reflected the trust residents reportedly value in their local newspapers while providing updates on the storm and informing readers about services they have access to. 

Most journalists have worked tirelessly through hearing “journalism is dead.” The coverage of Hurricane Helene is just one example of the crucial role local journalism plays in communities across the U.S. 

Layne Rey is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.