The League of Women Voters of Athens County hosts a candidate forum for the Athens County Treasurer race ahead of the November General Election. Dawn Deputy and Taylor Sappington participate in the forum at the Athens Community Center on Oct. 3, 2024. Photo by Anders Saling | The Post.

League of Women Voters hosts candidate forum for Athens County Treasurer

The League of Women Voters hosted a debate Thursday between two non-incumbent Athens County Treasurer candidates, Dawn Deputy and Taylor Sappington, who answered questions from Athens residents and media organizations about their respective campaigns.

The debate between Deputy, the former fiscal officer for the Athens County Sheriff’s Office and the current treasurer of The Plains Volunteer Fire Department, and Sappington, the current Nelsonville City Auditor, was initiated by the retirement of current Athens County Treasurer Ric Wasserman.

According to 2020 U.S. Census data, Athens County is home to more than 58,000 people and has the highest poverty rate among neighboring counties, making the race for treasurer a key ballot measure for many people. 

The rural region also presents unique financial challenges that both candidates hope to address for Athens residents.

TreasurerForum-16 League of Women Voters.JPG
The League of Women Voters of Athens County hosts a candidate forum for the Athens County Treasurer race ahead of the November General Election. Dawn Deputy and Taylor Sappington participate in the forum at the Athens Community Center on Oct. 3, 2024.

Dawn Deputy

Candidate Dawn Deputy is an Athens County native and an independent write-in candidate for Athens County treasurer. She received an associate degree in accounting from Hocking College in 2001 before owning and operating two businesses in Athens County for 19 years. 

After retiring, Deputy returned to school and received a bachelor's degree in accounting from Maryville University of St. Louis. Deputy also worked for Athens County Job and Family Services as a caseworker and as a fiscal officer with the Athens County Sheriff’s Office. 

She opened the candidate forum by expressing her connection to and concern for the people of Athens County.

“My goal is to ensure our county's financial health,” Deputy said. “As such, I will prioritize the taxpayer by being a treasurer with an open door policy for both local officials and residents, something which has been lacking in the current administration.”

As a neighbor, mother and community aggregate, Deputy said she is committed to keeping taxpayers informed about how their money is being spent and will explore new revenue sources and investments to further Athens’s financial success. 

Deputy also said she is running her campaign on trust, transparency and accountability by providing financial reports and ensuring compliance with all legal requirements. She added that the office of treasurer and serving her community is as much of a responsibility as it is an opportunity.

“My goals are to increase transparency and public involvement and to ensure that the existing tax escrow program is running well and continues to help residents with their tax payments,” Deputy said in a press release.

Taylor Sappington

Sappington, the democratic nominee for Athens County treasurer, is also an Athens County native and opened his argument by expressing gratitude and optimism for the community.

“It's an important moment of transition for the seat and I’ve found, in my experience in government, that moments of transition are the most important moments,” Sappington said. “So we have to get this right and I would really like the opportunity to be that person to help get that right.”

Sappington cited his education from Ohio University and his track record in Nelsonville city government as qualifications for the treasurer's office.

“We took on a bad census and recounted the city, and made it back to city status,” Sappington said. “We turned (budget) deficits into a surplus. We took on corruption and beat back theft multiple times. Frankly, (we) have done the job and done it well in my office, and I want to take that to the treasurer's office.”

Both candidates answered questions from community members in the audience about topics ranging from the management of the Athens County land bank to the tax escrow program. 

They also addressed audience members' concerns about property taxes and other economic issues that are prevalent on local, state and federal ballots.

Voter registration ended Monday, with the election for Athens County Treasurer beginning Tuesday via early voting. Information regarding polling locations, times and requirements can be found on the Athens Board of Elections website.

@oliviaggilliand 

og953622@ohio.edu