Illustration by Morgan Cassidy

Hong Seunghan’s RIIZE departure sparks backlash

In November 2023, former RIIZE member Hong Seunghan became the center of K-pop controversies after private pictures of him kissing a girl were leaked to the public. The photos, which appeared to be taken by him, sparked widespread public disapproval from many Korean internet users, with some commenting on how "grossed out" they were by the images.

Koreaboo, a Korean international entertainment site, reported on the scandal and the dichotomy between the reactions of international internet users (“I-netizens”) and Korean internet users (“K-netizens”). Korean fans took to social media to express their displeasure with Seunghan. 

“Ah, this is so unpleasant,” one K-netizen said. “They feel like they were taken as proofshots for him to show off in his group chat with his friends. Makes me feel so so grossed out.”

“Stepping aside from him dating, or taking pictures of him kissing, his face looks so ordinary,” another user commented. “You’re telling me this is an idol?”

International fans, however, supported the idol amongst the news of his dating scandal. They expressed excitement that the idol was in a seemingly happy relationship, defending the idol amongst intense backlash from K-netizens. 

“He's a grown man, of course, he's dated girls before, who cares?” one X user said. “He trained and is working hard as an artist, we are in 2023 you should have matured by this retrograde and ridiculous thinking. Seunghan we will be supporting you, shine with RIIZE!!.”

The 21-year-old K-pop idol releaseda public apology Aug. 30, 2023, through a letter on RIIZE’s official Instagram account, for the photos taken during a previous relationship before his debut.

“First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize to the fans who have supported RIIZE,” Seunghan said in the letter. “At a critical time ahead of our debut, I have caused damage to our group due to my personal matters and I have also disappointed both the company staff and our members.”

Seunghan later said he would make the group his priority.

“I will be careful in every situation I am in, not only for RIIZE’s performances,” Seunghan said. “I will do my best so that you will be able to feel my sincerity to RIIZE and to the fans through my actions. Once again, I am sorry. Thank you for reading this long message.” 

SM Entertainment, the record label and entertainment agency RIIZE is signed to, released a joint statement later that day that resulted in Seunghan’s “indefinite hiatus.”

“Unauthorized leakage and distribution of such media is clearly illegal and we are collecting data on the individuals who posted the pictures through Kwangya119 and other data monitoring,” SM Entertainment said in the statement. "We will also collect data on secondary transmission of the pictures such as reposting, redistributing, and further spread.”

SM Entertainment further warned fans about getting involved in an “unwelcoming situation,” adding that Seunghan is “deeply reflecting on the disappointment and damage he has caused to his team ahead of his debut.” They also said they were closely managing and supporting RIIZE so the group could focus on future activities to bring their fans “good performances.”

Many K-netizens called for Seunghan to leave the group following the controversy.

“He didn’t seem someone with the mental fortitude to be an idol,” one K-netizen said. “From watching him from NCT’s content videos, he didn’t seem to have any special talent. Look at him hiding behind his health excuse to get away from the controversy.”

Ten months after announcing Seunghan’s hiatus, SM Entertainment announced his return to group activities. The news resulted in protests in front of the SM Entertainment building in South Korea, as protestors ordered around one thousand funeral wreaths with Seunghan’s name on each to be placed in front of the building.

Some Korean supporters allegedly spotted Seunghan walking past the wreaths and expressed their support for his return online. He was also reportedly seen visiting one of the many fan projects, at a subway station with a RIIZE advertisement, created to combat the hate he is receiving. The site contained letters and notes filled with comforting words for Seunghan. 

On Oct. 13, Wizard Productions, a sub-agency under SM Entertainment in charge of managing RIIZE, released a statement announcing Seunghan’s departure from the group after receiving intense backlash in the wake of his return.

“However, the announcement of his return, we ruminated carefully on each and every one of the opinions and responses sent in by fans, and we realized that our decision had actually hurt fans more and caused them greater confusion instead,” Wizard Productions said. “At the same time, Seunghan has consistently expressed his desire to leave the group for the sake of the members and the fans. Out of respect for the artist’s decision, we are announcing Seunghan’s departure from RIIZE, instead of his joining the group.” 

Seunghan released a statement that said, “(me) leaving the group is the right path for everyone.” He also said he didn’t want “to cause any more hurt or confusion for the fans, and I don’t want to harm the members any further, and I also don’t want to hurt the company any further."

Seunghan’s departure has caused outrage amongst international fans across all K-pop fandoms and gained criticism from many K-netizens for SM Entertainment due to their lack of professionalism. 

Fans worldwide have taken a stance by holding protests advocating for the idol. Multiple international fan entities, including Malaysian BRIIZE (the RIIZE fandom name) and Indonesian BRIIZE, have bought out billboards and billboard trucks to spread their message of support to Seunghan and RIIZE.

Multiple hashtags have also been created in support of the singer including, "#RIIZEIs7," "#BRINGBACKSEUNGHAN," "#JUSTICEFORSEUNGHAN” and "#SMSupportsBullying." Fans of popular K-pop groups like BTS, (G)I-dle, Stray Kids and Seventeen would use these hashtags to spread awareness within their communities to grow support for RIIZE. Other fans posted pictures in front of SM with signs saying “RIIZE is 7.”

Former Day6 member Jae spoke out to condemn the protests against Seunghan, citing his own mental health struggle brought on by the hate he received during his tenure as an idol. 

On Oct.17, SM Entertainment announced legal action for the malicious comments made against RIIZE and Seunghan. SM Entertainment said it will file lawsuits "against individuals who persistently spread false information on specific platforms," specifically targeting those who falsely claimed to be acquaintances of RIIZE and spreading misleading information.

siimply_nyny

ng972522@ohio.edu