Kickin’ with Kyra: ‘Gilmore Girls’ is meant for fall

The wind is blowing intensely and leaves are quickly scattering the sidewalks. Fall has quickly arrived and now people are finding ways to have a good time while staying warm inside. One of these ways is by clicking through different movies or shows to embrace the season. Maybe it’s a nostalgic Halloween film like “Hocus Pocus” or a horror film like “Poltergeist.” However, many people take a different path by watching or rewatching “Gilmore Girls.” “Gilmore Girls” is a show meant to be watched in the fall, with its cozy ambiance and heartwarming plot.

“Gilmore Girls” follows a mother, Lorelai (Lauren Graham), and her daughter, Rory (Alexis Bledel.) They have bold personalities and are relatable in many ways to lots of women. They have their many struggles but are always there for each other and know how to bring people together. 

They live in a quaint, tiny town in Connecticut named Stars Hollow. The town consists of people who know everything about everyone because of its closeness. Town meetings can fit almost everyone in one large room. Stars Hollow has different events like bidding on girls’ picnic baskets and a winter carnival. Everyone in the town loves each other and sometimes they can fight like family. It's a place you would want to visit on an autumn weekend.

Now, even though the show doesn’t consistently take place in the fall, it is always a perfect watch for the season. The town is beautiful and decently minimalistic with a gazebo in the center and small shops and houses surrounding it. The small-town life makes the world seem so simple and the characters are easy to love. The overall aesthetic of the show is warm and comforting. Sometimes when the breeze is harsh outside and there is nothing to do, watching a feel-good show with a caring atmosphere is the best way to pass the time.

It isn’t just the look of the show and the setting that makes it perfect for the fall. It is also the story. Fall is about changes, whether you are looking at the drastic change from warm to cold or the switch from summer to school. This is similar to what we see in Rory and Lorelai. 

Lorelai became pregnant with Rory at 16 years old and they have a very close relationship as they have gone through many ups and downs just the two of them. We watch as Lorelai demonstrates her strengths in being a good mother and person. The two women are consistently evolving through the show. Viewers watch Rory go from high school to college to a professional life. Lorelai grows closer to her parents and finds love, as well as builds a larger career for herself. 

The show demonstrates hope and working through the chills that may come along. The growth of the characters resonates with the change of seasons.

Lastly, the outfits have a simple and warm early 2000s look. Most of the Gilmore girls’ outfits aren’t too out there, yet any sweater worn by Rory matched with the small-town background is perfect. Lorelai’s fashion also stands out with her low-rise jeans and turtlenecks. All of the outfits in the show tell a story about the characters. Many people look to find the perfect “Rory Gilmore sweater” when fall comes around.

Overall, “Gilmore Girls” is a show with a simple story of the ups and downs of small-town life. People can relate to the everchanging growth of the characters. The aesthetics of the show bring a cozy and warm feel to any room it plays in. These are some of the many reasons people click on “Gilmore Girls” when it's a chilly fall day.

Kyra Dapore is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kyra know by emailing her at kd364521@ohio.edu