Aiden’s Add-On: Hurricane Helene must inspire climate action

As houses fall and streets flood along the U.S. East Coast, the category four Hurricane Helene has left devastation in its wake. Families have watched as water overwhelmed their homes, decimating schools, hospitals and places of work. When extreme weather events such as Helene hit this country, each wave and each valley that goes underwater is a reminder that climate change will not wait for action. 

A relatively immediate federal response was dispatched to many areas affected by Helene, including cities such as Asheville, North Carolina, and Dekle Beach, Florida. The White House has recently deployed 1,000 active U.S. soldiers alongside 4,800 federal personnel to help states in crisis.

As help becomes available for more people, the damage that has been done is a great burden for everyday people to bear. With the storm affecting individuals as far as Appalachia, a federal response is necessary, but there remains action that must be taken in Washington, D.C., as well. Hurricanes are only one weather event out of many that have dealt abnormal amounts of damage to businesses and residences across the U.S. Drought, excessive flooding and intense coastal storms continue to make headlines accompanied by death tolls. 

This seemingly endless cycle of damage continues to intensify. Research from NASA indicates that warmer air temperatures are able to hold more water vapor which leads to intense rainfall as a result of increased moisture in the air. This shows that storms will become less frequent, but more intense when they occur. Thus, hurricanes like Helene will continue to appear, increasing the damage that they incur in both small towns and cities. 

What storms like this also show is resilience and dedication to helping others. When a photograph shows a Floridian clearing a downed tree blocking the road to his community, there is a renewed hope in people’s understanding of the climate. It is important to recognize that those who are most affected by extreme weather events amplified by climate change are those who have built strong communities with deep histories. According to CNN, “Helene turned the beloved city [of Asheville] into a mess of sludge, floating debris and toppled vehicles.” 

Not only does climate change put lives at risk, but it also endangers neighborhoods that many have worked for years to build. Individuals’ livelihoods have been disrupted as a result of inaction in combating the world’s climate crisis.

It is no coincidence that hurricanes continue to grow in size. It is no coincidence that the rivers of water, gas, topsoil and blood break down the strongest of bridges as they snake farther inland. There is no greater opportunity than this moment to begin enacting a climate policy that cuts carbon emissions and cools a climate that threatens to encroach upon the most stable land. 

As a country, the U.S. has a unique opportunity. It is certain that this general election presents citizens with the choice to uplift democracy or let it fall. Another aspect fewer consider is that voting for a candidate is also voting for all of their policies, including climate action. Americans cannot solve this national wound with denialism; it is by understanding how emissions will continue to impact future generations. 

Not only are millions of individuals casting a ballot for themselves, they are casting ballots for their children. It is imperative that each individual vote this November as if their safety is in danger because, in many ways, it certainly is. 

Aiden is a freshman studying journalism. Please note that the views expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Aiden? Reach him on Instagram at @aiden_with_an_i_ or email him at ar260223@ohio.edu.