Lately with Layne: Stop gender bias in true crime storytelling

As curious viewers turn to true crime documentaries and reenactments to consume the stories of infamous crimes, they must be conscious of the narratives the depictions perpetuate. 

The stories of Gypsy Rose Blanchard and the Menendez brothers are two of several tragic cases turned into entertainment with harmful narratives that followed. It is crucial to dissect these narratives, acknowledging gender stereotypes as it relates to violence. 

Gypsy Rose’s case was heartbreaking. Her mother, Clauddine Blanchard, had Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, leading her to force Gypsy Rose into malicious, unnecessary medical treatments that convinced the world she was chronically ill. She helped arrange her mother’s murder. 

Documentaries and series have recalled the story of Gypsy Rose’s childhood trauma including “Mommy Dead and Dearest,” “Gypsy’s Revenge” and “The Act,” among others. 

Another devastating story between parents and children occurred in the Menendez household. Lyle and Erik Menendez allege their father put the two through years of sexual and physical abuse. The brothers killed their parents, testifying in self-defense. 

A series titled “Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story” that reenacted the case hit Netflix in September – and it has the public talking. 

On the surface level, the stark contrast between the titles of their respective series displays the societal norm of approaching men and women who suffer from violence differently. 

The title “Gypsy’s Revenge” places Gypsy in a rightful, powerful light while the Menendez brothers are referred to as monsters before viewers even have the chance to watch. 

The series themselves also have dangerous differences. 

Women, such as in the case of Gypsy Rose, are largely viewed as vulnerable and in need of protection – and the series about her case promoted exactly that. She was portrayed in a sympathetic light, emphasizing the fact that her mom’s death was purely out of self-defense. 

Stories about Gypsy Rose also highlight the abuse she endured more than the death of her mother, which they should. However, the Menendez brothers weren’t offered the same opportunity, arguably because of their gender.  

Lyle and Erik were almost immediately written off and assumed to be inherently violent and power-hungry. The series placed emphasis on the death of their parents, the planning of the murders and the court hearings as opposed to their abuse. 

Although it certainly acknowledged the violence they faced, it was largely sensational – and the Menendez brothers agreed. 

Erik, via his wife Tammi Menendez’s X account, released a statement that included, “It is sad for me to know that Netflix’s dishonest portrayal of the tragedies surrounding our crime have taken the painful truths several steps backward — back through time to an era when the prosecution built a narrative on a belief system that males were not sexually abused, and that males experienced rape trauma differently than women.”

The trauma the Menendez brothers carry is lifelong. Continuing to promote the skewed story of them being vicious killers is not only harmful to them but also to everyone who has acted in self-defense against violence. 

Although the cases are different, the differences in depictions based on gender stereotypes are uninformative and dangerous. 

Producers, viewers and the larger public must stop glamorizing and demonizing certain individuals based on gendered expectations as it relates to trauma and violence. 

Layne Rey is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.