Daphne’s Dispatch: Gen Z is desensitized

Generation Z, the generation born during the 1990s and early 2000s, has become extremely desensitized to tragic events. World-changing events occur seemingly one after another because of social media’s access to quick information.

From notifications every second to trending topics online, this generation has had access to the internet sooner than any generation. Now adults, the desensitization carries into how they absorb major events. 

The Triangle describes desensitization as occurring through, “repeated exposure which leads to a decreased emotional response to a negative catalyst.” As catastrophic events are shown online, people can’t help but become desensitized to it as a form of coping.

According to the AAFP, “An average American youth will witness 200,000 violent acts on television before age 18.” This exemplifies how accessible brutality and harmful videos are and have been to younger generations. As someone scrolls on TikTok or Instagram Reels, they can see clips of car crashes or mass weather destruction, then simply scroll past it. The accessibility to these videos has made Gen Z desensitized. 

Before the convenience of the internet, no one had seen catastrophes unless they were at an event or if their TVs were on. In the mid-1970s, the Federal Communications Commission, an independent agency of the U.S. federal government, strongly urged television networks to adopt a system of self-regulation. The main concern at the time was television violence’s effects, such as inappropriate programs for children. 

After seeing photos or videos that disturb or surprise, a way of coping is to make a joke or meme out of it. In 2020 as the pandemic induced waves of anxiety, Gen Z took to meme culture, confined to their homes. Psychology Today explained that sharing and seeking out memes during the pandemic led to deeper information processing and lower levels of pandemic-related stress. Memes during the pandemic may have brought a sense of relatability and comfort, but years later memes would stir anxiety and uncertainty.

In February 2022, as Russia invaded Ukraine, people began to make memes about the U.S. government reinstating the draft. After the WWIII memes took over social media, Ukraine’s Twitter account tweeted, “This is not a ‘meme,’ but our and your reality right now.” 

After the continuous WWIII memes, Gen Z had repeated exposure to the catastrophic current events that were happening in real time and was becoming less and less sensitive. Especially as current as the presidential election, both candidates have been made into memes as a way to cope with how vital this election is. As access to more information expands, Gen Z won’t be the only ones so used to seeing disastrous news each day. 

Gen Z having the freedom to take to their phones and cope with real world-changing events by making memes and jokes about terrible events because of the constant stream of information is a large contributor to why ‘Z’ as a generation, is so desensitized. 

Daphne Graeter is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Daphne know by emailing her at dg422421@ohio.edu.