Diddy’s case sparks speculation

On May 17, surveillance footage from a Los Angeles hotel in 2016 showed Sean Combs, better known as rapper and record producer P. Diddy, chasing after Cassie Ventura. Upon reaching her, Combs can be seen physically assaulting her. 

In the lawsuit Ventura filed in November 2023, she brought forth similar allegations to the surveillance footage. During their romantic relationship, which lasted from 2012 to 2018, she claimed he subjected her to domestic abuse, forced her to engage in sexual acts with other men and introduced her to a life of excessive alcohol and substance use. 

Despite the two settling out of court, this became only the first series of allegations brought against Combs as ten more sexual assault lawsuits followed. Due to the charges of sex trafficking and racketeering, Combs was arrested Sept. 16. On Sept. 17, a federal document listing Combs’ indictment charges was unsealed and released to the public.

The document brings forth numerous charges. Some of these detail the “freak-offs,” events that took place after Combs’ parties. During these events, victims were often drugged, coerced, threatened or forced into partaking in sexual acts with prostitutes.

According to the legal filings, associates and members of Combs’s enterprise would aid in this in many ways, including by booking hotel rooms, buying substances and arranging for travel for the victims. The nature of the events have garnered much attention on social media.

Six months before Combs’ arrest, his houses in Los Angeles and Miami were also searched. Law enforcement said they discovered 1,000 bottles of baby oil and other lubricants. Additionally, narcotics, such as cocaine, oxycodone and ketamine, were also found at Combs’ houses. These were used to drug and force victims into partaking in sexual acts at the events.

Even after the events, Combs and his associates would track the whereabouts, monitor the medical records and control the housing and appearances of the victims. Furthermore, Combs was also seen brandishing firearms to threaten the victims further. During the searches, three AR-15 rifles with defaced serial numbers were also found, alongside a drum magazine.

Combs’ employees were also affected. If an employee of Combs’ enterprise attempted to speak out against him, they would be bribed, threatened with abuse or actually abused. They were also subjected to crimes such as kidnapping and arson.

More details are still coming out about the case, and who may have been involved. As of right now, Combs is awaiting trial for May 5, 2025 in a Brooklyn jail after pleading not guilty.

Among these details are those from Tony Buzbee, a Texas attorney who is representing 120 plaintiffs who have brought forth sexual assault allegations against Combs. In a press conference, he stated some of these sexual assault claims took place at auditions, but the majority took place at parties. Buzbee also stated the list of names of other perpetrators in connection with Combs will one day be released and “shock you,” but those working on the case want to be absolutely certain before releasing any of them.

Buzbee’s words sparked a social media storm of speculation regarding the other perpetrators. However, each name is currently just rumors unsubstantiated by any hard proof. 

Additionally, many rumors have been swirling about Combs’ connection to the deaths of A-list stars. One of the more talked-about ones is the death of Tupac Shakur. According to Billboard, the rapper was shot and killed in 1996, and Duane “Keefe D” Davis was arrested in connection to it in 2023.

The former gang leader has allegedly claimed in the past that Combs offered him one million dollars in order to kill the rising hip hop star. With the speculation of Combs’ connection once again being in the public consciousness, the late artist’s family has hired an attorney to investigate his death. 

Although many of these are simple social media rumors, more details are still coming out about the case and connections Combs may have to other members of Hollywood’s most popular. 

as589820@ohio.edu

@alicia_szcz