Abby Jenkins

Blabby Abby: CPS lacks necessary OCD staff

Ohio University’s Counseling and Psychological Services, or CPS, serves as an important piece in the puzzle of student resources the university provides. However, its mere existence, although important, is not substantially staffed or prepared for the influx of students, especially due to recent events. After finishing my own run-through with counseling services at OU because of my OCD, I was encouraged to look elsewhere or I may not receive the support I required. I was disappointed, and due to the limited college funds I possess, I have not received counseling for my OCD since.

I’ve had my own deal with CPS in the past, and although the time I spent in counseling showed positive results, it was the process of next steps during the summer that proved to be concerning to me. While looking for a counseling transfer, CPS revealed there were no current employees with a specialization in OCD.

CPS currently consists of two psychiatric mental health nurses, according to its website, and its extent of services for specific mental disorders is individual and group support for dealing with symptoms of ADHD. 

The rest of the psychiatric site provides an extensive list of outside sources for retrieving a formal diagnosis and for receiving proper medication. The extent of therapy services, in both individual and group settings, specifically state assistance for “coping with depression, anxiety or PTSD.” 

Psychology Today has recorded evidence of the steady increase in OCD in college students since the COVID-19 pandemic, stating the mean onset age of OCD is 19.5 years, the age when students are entering the thick of their college careers. 

Additionally, in 2022, National College Health Assessment data recorded an increase in diagnoses of OCD, rising from 4% to 6%; 66% of those college students reported contact with mental health professionals. This statistic demonstrates the importance of having this staff readily available, and OU does not. 

Even with such a small percentage recorded, college students with OCD deserve to have assistance and support for what can be a debilitating disorder. According to NOCD, students studying at the university level were 41% less likely to finish a degree, and 48% less likely to finish a postgraduate degree. Numbers like these, especially when they affect a university graduation rate or average, should not be taken lightly. 

In addition to its current 1.9-star rating as a medical clinic and lack of weekend hours, having minimal staff specializing in specific disorders, especially OCD, is unacceptable at a public university where students could pay up to nearly $40,000 a year. This school needs support for students with OCD, especially as the number of students with the disorder continues to rise. 

Abby Jenkins is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Abby know by tweeting her @abbyjenks18 or emailing her at aj205621@ohio.edu.