7 cheap, easy Halloween costume ideas

Halloween weekend is right around the corner in Athens, and you may need more last-minute, budget-friendly costume ideas. Here are some costumes you can find in your closet or buy with supplies at a low cost.

Cat costume

An easy costume anyone can pull off in the eleventh hour on a budget for this Halloween is a cat. A simple costume, yet it is fitting for the season.

All you need to pull off this costume is an all-black outfit with some cat ears. A way to complete this costume is to use black eyeliner to draw whiskers on your face to top off the look.

Ketchup and mustard

If you are looking for a silly couple's costume or a twinning costume with your friends, then going as ketchup and mustard would be a simple but fun idea. All you need is a red or yellow top, and you can craft the tops of the bottles with paper plates, construction paper and paint.

Mario and Luigi

Mario and Luigi are some other costumes that can be done with a couple or friends. You would need one green shirt, one red shirt, a red hat and a green hat. A way to achieve the mustaches of Mario and Luigi, without buying a costume mustache, is to draw them on with eyeliner. If you choose to buy the actual fake mustache, they retail for around $2 at Walmart

Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell would be an easy last-minute choice this Halloween. A way to achieve this look is wearing a green dress or a top and skirt combination. To complete the look of Tinkerbell, you would have to buy a set of wings.

Fairy wings are available at Walmart starting from $13, making this an easy, low-cost costume. If you wanted to go above and beyond, you could buy a blonde wig from Five Below for $5 to make the costume extra magical.

Pitbull

If you want a fun costume for Halloween, consider going as Mr. Worldwide himself. To achieve this look, a person would just need a button-up top, black pants and sunglasses. A way to really make this costume fun is topping it off with a bald cap. You can buy a bald cap from Walmart for around $4, making this an easy last-minute costume for anyone.

Lydia Deetz

If you want to pull off a costume relevant to this year, consider going as Lydia from Beetlejuice. You could take this costume in two ways: her iconic red dress or her all-black outfit with her camera and large sunhat.

A way to pull off her all-black outfit is by wearing anything black in your closet. If you don’t have a sunhat, you can find one at Walmart for $10. A way to top off this look would be to carry a camera, and you can apply black eyeshadow and eyeliner to complete the look.

To pull off her iconic red dress look, you need a red dress to wear with some black shoes. To complete the look, you need a bouquet of red flowers and use black eyeshadow for her makeup. If you want to go above and beyond for her hair, you can use YouTube tutorials on any kind of social media platform to achieve the look. TikTok has a lot of videos on how to recreate Lydia’s unique bangs.

M&M’s

If you want to have an easy group costume, consider going as an M&M. To achieve this group costume look, everyone needs a different colored top. You can either use a white paint marker from Walmart for $2.52 to draw the candied “M” on the shirts or use white paper to cut out the “M” to pin to the shirts. The best part about going as M&M’s is anyone can be involved, making it an inclusive group costume.

@ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu