Clara’s Commentary: Celebrity opinion shouldn’t determine votes

Celebrities endorsing political candidates have become commonplace over the years. A celebrity stating who they will vote for brings attention to a political candidate's campaign and encourages votes. However, celebrities should not feel they have to endorse a candidate. 

The 2024 election has seen a rise in celebrity participation on the campaign trails of both former President Donald Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris. Celebrities have appeared at rallies and conventions, and their role in politics has grown in importance this year. In this election, more than ever, it seems that celebrity endorsements are vital for political campaigns.

An endorsement from a fan-favorite celebrity holds a monumental power over elections and has for years. NPR reports, “A study by Northwestern University found that Oprah Winfrey's endorsement of Barack Obama made a significant difference in the 2008 presidential primary race against Hillary Clinton. Although endorsements of political candidates have great results, celebrities should not feel they have to endorse someone.

Most recently, singer-songwriter Chappell Roan fell under internet fire for her thoughts on an endorsement. The star took to TikTok to say she didn’t feel comfortable putting her name behind one candidate. She discussed not liking either party, and fans were not happy with what she had to say or her lack of approval of either side. 

Fans should not expect celebrity endorsements. Celebrities are human beings with individual opinions, and political issues are more complex than a simple statement of approval for a candidate. The public should not pressure celebrities to choose a candidate, but rather voters should dig deeper into the beliefs of who is running for office. 

It is up to each voter to make decisions about political candidates, do his or her research and cast a vote for the most deserving party. Celebrities should not influence a vote, and although it can be encouraging to see a celebrity align with certain views, it should not sway a voter's decision. Instead, public figures could better influence the political field by encouraging their fans to register to vote. 

An encouragement to vote from a celebrity results in higher voter turnout and urges young people to partake in the democratic process. ABC News states, “Back in 2018, Taylor Swift encouraged her fans to register to vote by posting a simple Instagram story, resulting in 250,000 new Vote.org registrants in 72 hours.”

The influence of celebrities is undeniable, and when exercised correctly, can encourage younger generations of voters to make their voices heard. CNN reports about a Harvard study and states, “Celebrities are uniquely positioned to empower everyday Americans to use their voices and exercise their civic rights.” Political discussions from celebrities have so much power due to the strong fan bases each celebrity has built, but there is more to an election than who celebrities are voting for. 

As Generation Z and Generation Alpha begin partaking in the voting process, celebrity endorsements must not influence individual votes. The future of democracy depends on informed decisions about candidates, doing research, viewing debates and reaching individualized conclusions. Voters should not rely on endorsements from celebrities to make a decision and celebrities should not feel they have to make one to keep a platform or fans. It is up to each person to cast his or her vote in this election and make his or her own informed decision about who that vote will go to. 

Clara Leder is a junior studying education and journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Clara know by emailing her at cl125221@ohio.edu.