Breast Cancer Awareness Month promotes education, removes stigma

It is officially October, recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since 1985, Breast Cancer Awareness Month has highlighted how common breast cancer is and ways it can be detected early. 

According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, one in eight women develop breast cancer in their lifetime. With only skin cancer preceding it. Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the U.S. Even though the majority of breast cancer cases are found in women aged 50 and older, young people are still affected as well. 

Breast Cancer Awareness Month promotes education and self-screening to know what regular breast tissue feels like as opposed to abnormalities.

Jane Balbo, a family physician and assistant professor of family medicine at Ohio University’s Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, emphasized the importance of starting self-breast exams at an early age.

“For people under 40, who don't have a strong family history of breast and reproductive cancers, their risk of cancer is really low, but it's not zero, and so having awareness of their breast tissue is super important,” Balbo said. 

For people 40 years old and over, or with a family history of breast and reproductive cancers, Balbo encourages even more awareness and regular breast exams.

According to a report by the Ohio Department of Health, 10.2% of new cancer cases between 2016 and 2020 in Athens County were female breast cancer cases. Balbo spoke on some of the ways people can reduce their risk for breast cancer, even at a young age. 

“Things like nutrition, physical activity, avoiding tobacco and nicotine products, healthy alcohol use and other things can reduce one’s risk,” Balbo said. “But for the age group of college students who are younger than 40, probably the biggest thing they can do to reduce their risk is know their family history.”

The Ohio Department of Health report also stated in Athens County, 81.9% of women 50-74 years old reported they had a mammogram in the past two years, compared with 77.9% in Ohio and 78.6% in the U.S. The high percentages of mammograms are largely due to organizations like CareSource, OhioHealth and Hawking Athens Perry Community Action, which advocate for diverse health needs in Athens. 

For Breast Cancer Awareness Month, CareSource, OhioHealth and HAPCAP are organizing a drive-thru event called Brake for Breakfast. The event is set to take place Wednesday at 601 E. State St. and aims to educate Athens residents on breast cancer and provide them with the necessary resources for breast cancer prevention. 

Diane Borton is the community and retail partnership director at CareSource and started Brake for Breakfast 17 years ago to feature health and wellness through a drive-thru event with three stops. 

“One (stop) was to get a free breakfast, and the second stop was to receive information about how to schedule a mammogram, when to schedule a mammogram, the importance of it (and how to) do a self-breast exam,” Borton said. “And then the third stop was just a bag of goodies, so giveaway items that they could take home.”

The event came to Athens when CareSource partnered with HAPCAP and OhioHealth to deliver resources to those who may not have access to preventative healthcare. 

“What we see with folks who are on the lower income spectrum is they may have transportation insecurity,” Eva Plume, the director of development for HAPCAP, said. “Being able to come in, drive to one place, get the screening, check in on what other things they may need to do, can be really convenient.”

Brake for Breakfast removes the stigma of breast cancer and provides a positive, uplifting perspective on preventative care and breast cancer education. Brittany Jarvis, the administrative manager for cancer services at OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital, spoke on the exciting feeling during Brake for Breakfast and how it normalizes screenings.

“It gives it a really positive spin, and it removes barriers,” Jarvis said. “It makes it a little less scary because the event is so pink and positive, and there's a lot of opportunity to ask questions.” 

Women are not the only ones affected by breast cancer. Although male breast cancer is rare, the lifetime risk is about one in 1,000, and it is important for men to also be aware of changes in their breast tissue so they can get diagnosed early.

“What sometimes happens is those folks might have a lump or a change in their breast or chest tissue and not realize that they need to be concerned about breast cancer and not get it checked,” Balbo said. “I think also increasing awareness for those folks that breast cancer does happen to men.”

Breast Cancer Awareness Month increases recognition of risks and prevention, but it is not always positive. For some, it is also a trigger of the loss of a loved one or a reminder of the disease that has permanently affected their lives.

“For people who are breast cancer survivors, or people who have lost someone to breast cancer, sometimes Breast Cancer Awareness Month feels very much like a token, or it brings back all of the painful memories,” Balbo said. 

Balbo emphasizes breast cancer awareness all year, not just during October.

“Having awareness of how breast cancer affects people differently is really important, and having just one month a year is not enough from the perspective of supporting survivors,“ Balbo said.

@carlydelucaa

cd057322@ohio.edu