TikTok’s trend of ‘BookTok’ affects viewers’ choices

Recently, “BookTok” has emerged as a vibrant trend on TikTok that captivates a diverse enviornment of readers. Its inclusive space has allowed content creators to share their favorite books through engaging formats with readers of all levels and ages.

The trend welcomes anyone eager to dive into the world of literature by following hashtags or engaging with book-centric accounts. Despite being relatively niche, it draws in many new readers daily. Anyone can share their favorite recommendations by reviewing and discussing books or creating engaging content like memes, merchandise and ASMR videos.

The more common users on this side of TikTok are women and young teenagers sharing genre recommendations like romance, young adult fiction and fantasy.

BookTok has also had an impact on publishing and literary spaces. According to Clevo Books, an independent publisher and seller of translated books in both fiction and nonfiction in Downtown Cleveland, BookTok is positively impacting publishing communities.

Traditionally, publishing houses use a mix of marketing methods to promote and sell books that include author interviews or podcasts. However, TikTok is using a unique way of creating content such as reading challenges or book lists while providing tips to help spread the word about books faster.

If someone uses TikTok as a platform to promote books and authors, it can help build a fast connection between the creator and readers through engaging content. It also draws in more meaningful conversations about books and literature.

Authors and publishers can also interact with fans and readers through social media platforms, researching what resonates with them to use the information to create more successful marketing strategies in the future.

BookTok has created many great reading habits among young people. According to Australia Reads, the BookTok hashtag is reported to have over 107 billion views globally. As of 2023, it is particularly popular with Generation Z users, people who were born between 1996 and 2010.

Companies like Barnes and Noble have also hopped on the trend of using BookTok to help promote sales of its books. The company even has a recommended list of books from BookTok related to a specific genre readers can browse, ranging from romance to fantasy. Many authors can be found on this list; there are even sections on the company’s website for readers to shop for specific writers including Colleen Hoover, Sarah J. Maas and Rebecca Yarros.

Popular titles on many of the BookTok Top Reads lists include similar titles. On Goodreads, readers can find all of the current popular titles including the “A Court of Thorns and Roses” series by Sarah J. Maas, “Fourth Wing” by Rebecca Yarros, “It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover, “Red, White & Royal Blue” by Casey McQuiston, “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson and “They Both Die At The End” by Adam Silvera.

BookTok has revolutionized how readers discover and engage with literature, fostering a vibrant reading space transcending traditional boundaries. By bridging the gap between authors, publishers and their audiences, BookTok is reshaping marketing strategies in the publishing industry and nurturing a culture of reading among younger generations.

As this trend grows, it promises to leave a lasting impact on many individuals’ reading habits and the broader literary landscape.

@ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu