Clara’s Commentary: Every woman should vote in 2024 election

The 2024 November election is high stakes for America and the state of democracy. Whether planning to cast a vote for former President Donald Trump or Vice President Kamala Harris, participation in the voting process this year is vital, especially for women. Issues such as gun violence, abortion access, healthcare and reproductive rights affect the lives of everyone, but especially women in America. 

Historically, women comprise the highest group of registered voters, and according to the Council on Foreign Relations, “They tend to turn out at high levels to vote, as 68.4 percent of them did in the 2020 election.” Women hold a lot of power in the polls, due to the large number of registered women voters, meaning they will have significant influence on who will take the position as the next president of the United States. 

The results of where women voters cast their decision will have adverse impacts on a vast range of issues, but what will have the most impact on American women is the issue of reproductive rights and abortion access. 

Another Trump presidency could see reduced access to emergency abortion care, according to the Commonwealth Fund. Alternatively, the Harris administration says abortions may be necessary under emergency medical conditions and promised to keep the access available to women all over the country with a reinstatement of Roe v Wade on the agenda. 

With two stark opinions on each side of the issue, the winner of this election will determine the state of reproductive healthcare in the country, impacting the rights of women’s bodily autonomy across America. No matter what side women voters are on, their presence at the polls will decide what candidate will have the final say in the reproductive rights debate.

So far, it seems most women, specifically Black women, are in support of the Harris-Walz administration, rallying behind the vice president on her campaign trail. The 19th News shares, “If the election were held today, 78 percent of the Black women voters said they would vote for Harris.”

Based on polls conducted after the first and only presidential debate thus far, Harris holds women voters' support by 13 points, compared to Trump who leads male voters by eight points. 

Women in America need to get out there and vote. There are a wide range of issues at play during this high-stakes election and no matter which side of reproductive rights voters fall on, the winning presidential candidate will decide the outcome of regulations and laws surrounding abortion access and reproductive rights. 

Confirm voter registration, get to the polls, cast a ballot and most importantly do the research about each candidate. When deciding which candidate deserves to win, pay specific attention to the views held about women’s rights, women’s healthcare, reproductive rights and abortion access. The next president will determine how these issues are handled in America and women have the power to decide that. 

Clara Leder is a junior studying education and journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Clara know by emailing her at cl125221@ohio.edu.