The Lo-Down: WNBA should award two rookies

In the WNBA’s 27-season history, the Rookie of the Year trophy has never been a shared commodity. That’s largely because the WNBA hasn’t experienced two rookies like Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese in the same season.

In the NBA, there have been two instances in which there has been a co-Rookie of the Year. The first time was in 1995 when Hall of Famers Jason Kidd and Grant Hill held the trophy together, and again in 2000 when it was Steve Francis and Elton Brand.

The case of Clark and Reese has been the cause of debate since the moment they started their professional careers; perhaps even earlier. As it stands now, Clark is the heavy favorite, having led her Fever to a record above .500, a feat that hasn’t been achieved since the 2015 WNBA season.

Clark is currently averaging 18.7 points per game, good for ninth in the WNBA, and 8.4 assists per game, which leads the league. If the WNBA season ended today, Clark would have put together a season worthy of the Rookie of the Year award in just about any race in the league’s history.

Reese, on the other hand, is another league stat leader. Her 13.2 rebounds per game would be the highest mark in league history by over one rebound per game and she’s already reached the most offensive rebounds in a season in league history.

Reese has received far more criticism than Clark – the reasons for that could be its own column – but has already carved out her spot in history and deserves to have it recognized.

Reese’s Sky team is one of the worst teams in the WNBA, with a record of 11-22, but the cultural impact Reese has had on the team is worth noting. The Sky’s roster has seen massive overturn from the past season, and under new head coach Teresa Weatherspoon, have started to take on a new identity, headed by Reese. Chicago this season is tougher, and while it has to find answers offensively, it's improved on defense and, of course, in rebounding.

The case for the two on the court pits them as the only two true candidates. However, the cultural case the two have made is what truly makes them both deserving of the 2024 WNBA Rookie of the Year. 

In terms of sales, the two are the most popular players in the WNBA, topping jersey and merchandise charts. They’ve also seen an immediate impact on the viewership and ticket sales of the WNBA, breaking records in just about every department.

If both win Rookie of the Year, debates centered around the two would likely reach all-time highs, as is the nature of sports social media. The co-existence of the two within the confines of basketball will almost surely consist of arguments and debates about who is better, and although unpleasant, would come from the fact that both are great.

Serious debate implies two valid stances. Although it may be genuinely hostile at times between Clark and Reese, that occurs because the fanbases of both are vying for the validity of their candidate's respective success.

Nobody would debate LeBron James or Michael Jordan as the NBA’s greatest player ever if the two weren’t unanimously great, and although nobody with a valid argument is calling Clark or Reese the greatest player in WNBA history, the principles of why both are great exist in the same space. 

Regardless of personal stance on who’s better or if sharing the award is the right decision, the objective stance is that both are great and deserving Rookie of the Year candidates.

Logan Adams is a junior studying journalism. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Logan know by tweeting him @LoganPAdams.