Tria McLean (3) and Sam Steele (13) high five after scoring a point at the Ohio University vs Eastern Michigan University Senior Day volleyball game, Nov. 4, 2023.

Volleyball: Previewing the Green and White Invitational

Ohio (3-5) looks to redeem itself and break its losing streak this weekend at the Green and White Invitational back home. The Bobcats will welcome three additional teams to The Convo for the second time this year. The team looks to cut down on errors and keep opponents from running away with the lead to secure an Ohio victory. 

Despite losing all three games last weekend many players have shined on the court. Emily Waddell is coming back from a great weekend in kills and blocks and currently leads the team for the ladder at 32. Chariti McKeller has proved to be essential for getting the ball in scoring position, as she currently sits at 182 assists for the year. 

Game Information:

Opponent(s): Liberty, Oakland and Eastern Kentucky

Location: Athens, Ohio (The Convo)

Time(s): Friday 6:30 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Where to watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here.

History:

Ohio’s last matchup against Liberty (4-5) ended in a sweep that saw Ohio on top and has been the only match played against the Flames. Ohio has split its record with Eastern Kentucky (7-3), the last matchup ending in a loss for the Bobcats in three sets. With a fiery start to their season, the Colonels will be a big match for Ohio. Oakland (3-6) and Ohio have yet to face off against each other, starting the teams’ playing history this weekend.

Player to watch (Liberty): Charli Morris

Standing at 6-foot-3, Morris is the sophomore setter for the Flames and has already lit up the court with impressive numbers. Leading her team in assists at 153, her height and versatility at the net will make her a dangerous matchup for Ohio. In addition to her assists Morris has put up 27 kills and 23 blocks for the year. Morris is an asset for Liberty, and with two more years to grow on the court, Ohio will look to keep Liberty out of the system to stay on top. 

Player to watch (Oakland): Emily Wichmann

Senior libero Wichmann has long established herself with the Golden Grizzlies and has stood out for her work in the back row all four years. Last year, Wichmann set Oakland’s single-season dig record at 659 digs for best in the league. This year, she has hit the ground running at 139 and has kept receiving errors down relatively low. The Bobcats will need to attack carefully to avoid the ball from getting picked up.

Player to watch (Eastern Kentucky): Sarah Mitchell 

Leading the Colonels in kills at 127 and service aces at 14, Mitchell additionally appears on two other leaderboards for Eastern Kentucky. With 119 digs and 8 assists, the senior and outside hitter proves to be scrappy on offense and defense at the net. Putting up a block and keeping the ball outside of Mitchell’s defensive zone will allow the Bobcats to score against the Colonels.

abbyjenks18

aj205621@ohio.edu