The Union on West Union Street Sept. 9, 2024.

Variant Magazine to host “BRAT” night at The Union

Although Charli XCX has said “goodbye forever” to brat summer with a post on X, Athens is anything but ready to let the era die. On Sept. 11, Variant Magazine will be “bumpin’ that” at The Union, located at 18 W. Union St., and whether students attend in mourning of the iconic season or in a hopeful attempt to keep the summer alive, it will be an exciting transition into brat autumn. 

The upcoming event was primarily organized by the magazine’s event planner and Head of Diversity and Inclusion Hali Bridges, a senior studying world religions and African American studies. 

“When you think of ‘BRAT,’ you think that everyone can be a part of it and be a part of that movement,” Bridges said. “We’re so grateful to The Union for letting us have everyone be involved, for it being 18-plus and no cover." 

With no cost to enter and discounted drinks, the event is designed to be accessible for college students. Bridges hopes the event helps promote the publication, a sentiment shared by Variant’s Editor-In-Chief Kenji Smith. Smith, a senior studying media arts and video production, hopes the event also offers a different going-out experience than the regular Athens scene. 

“I feel like this is kind of a new thing we’re trying to introduce to campus,” Smith said. “We have bars and the traditional stuff. There’s not spaces where we can be ourselves and be very creative people, so this event aligns with that.” 

The event will include themed drinks and the essential music to help craft what Bridges described as a “messy” and “authentic” night of celebration, the core aesthetic of brat summer which attendees are also encouraged to display in their outfits. 

“People need to dress the theme, this is a fashion magazine,” Bridges said. “It doesn’t have to be perfect it just has to be who you are, expressing yourself and things like that, that’s all we really want to see.” 

Smith also agrees with this message of inclusivity, which is encouraged by Bridges in her capacity as diversity and inclusion chair and, in a way, by the “BRAT” phenomenon in its ability to resonate with a vast audience of unique people. 

“Variant is really about our individuality,” Smith said. “We’re bound to being a diverse organization, we want to have people express who they are.” 

While the event is primarily intended to be a social gathering, it will also offer a chance for people to get to know Variant Magazine and network with the people behind the publication in an unconventional and exciting setting. 

“Just come, have a good time, if you want to stay for a little bit and chat, we’re all very cool people and if you show up you’re obviously a cool person too,” Smith said. 

One of the attendees will be Katherine Bunsey, a sophomore studying commercial photography and a contributor to the magazine.  

“Everyone is so nice, it’s just really nice to know that there's so many people that are so welcoming and will just talk to you about anything,” Bunsey said about the fellow members of the organization.  

Looking past the surface and into the core purpose of a “BRAT” themed event, Bunsey succinctly summarizes the main goal of the evening. 

“I’m really looking forward to being around a bunch of people again and having fun,” she said.

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu