The Lo-Down: Tim Walz works

Relatability always tests well when it comes time to elect a government official. Sadly, however, it’s often feigned due to the kind of people who have the means to become the nation's leaders. Democratic Vice President candidate Tim Walz is a breath of fresh air from that, and it’s what makes his candidacy’s primary tactic work.

Former President Barack Obama was initially seen as a different look from this brand of politician. He practically won both terms based on being a likable, conversational, charismatic and relatively unknown candidate above all else. Since then, the sitting presidents, their running mates and opponents have lacked this intangible sense of being real and likable individuals, as evidenced by approval ratings.

Former President Donald Trump, someone who has largely benefitted from the wealth he was born into and made his career as a businessperson, lacked this personability. He arguably made up for it with a unique and controversial brand of charisma that galvanized his Republican base and divided the two main American parties to absurd degrees.

That division was compacted in the proceedings of the 2020 election, which saw sitting President Joe Biden take over in a term that would see him visibly and audibly decline mentally. Biden, a career politician, once again lacked that touch with the average American voter that allowed him to appear relatable, forcing some genuinely wild narratives to be published to keep Biden afloat.

Now, as the running mate to Democratic candidate Kamala Harris, Walz is a true example of someone the American people can grasp onto. A former high school football defensive coordinator and school teacher, Walz’s run as Governor in Minnesota was characterized by legislation for the people of Minnesota and managed to get a lot done in a short time.

Walz is someone who comes off as genuinely relatable, like he could be a family member, or a well-liked older coworker or teacher. He jokes about making “white guy tacos,” simultaneously bringing out laughs from his base and breaking the reactionary brains of his conservative adversaries.

Most importantly, though, when Walz campaigns for LGBTQIA+ rights, free lunch for students and the banning of book bans he comes off as a normal guy, in a direct juxtaposition to the “weird” strategy he and Harris have launched against their opponents.

“Weird” has worked exceptionally well to get under the skin of Republicans and force the moderate to reconsider some of the legislation they may or may not have been indifferent to, additionally stripping power from the opposing base, as previous tactics have.

Wednesday, speaking in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Trump commented on the “weird” claims, insisting that he and his running mate JD Vance are anything but. The claim was almost immediately followed by a rant about how the Democrats want to execute babies post-birth, among other things, which is both easily disproved and generally weird.

Vance himself has seemingly inadvertently done his best to encapsulate the derogatory adjective, with countless moments of weirdness best shown in his vast unfavorability.

Walz and his political tactics have worked to great effect to this point, and it all stems from the fact that he, on the surface, appears to be a normal person with normal world views and no culturally-centered ideology to push or divide with. 

As it currently stands, Harris is heading into a debate with Trump with a 48%-43% advantage, in no small part to the simple and relatable messaging and candidates the Democratic party has brought forth.

Logan Adams is a junior studying journalism. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Logan know by tweeting him @LoganPAdams.