Ohio football head coach, Tim Albin, during practice before the Spring Scrimmage at Peden Stadium, April 20, 2024, in Athens.

Football: What we learned from Tim Albin’s weekly press conference

After a week one loss to Syracuse, Ohio coach Tim Albin sat down with the press for his weekly press conference. Here is what The Post learned from the brief conversation. 

Team needs sense of urgency 

Albin made it clear that the most improvements come from week one of the season to week two. The biggest message he wants to send to his team is an increased sense of urgency among the players. 

“It’s attention to detail, whether it's just getting our cleats in the ground just a little bit quicker, you know, and getting our pad level down just a little bit more,” said Albin. “I think that’s a first-game to second-game jump. That was a point of emphasis this morning, we better see it as a staff.”

The attention to detail and sense of urgency will have to be at a high level this week as Ohio recovers and learns from its loss to Syracuse and prepares for a high-tempo offense against South Alabama. 

Running back depth 

Ohio proved its versatility at the running back position over the weekend after back-up Anthony Tyus III rushed for 203 yards and two touchdowns. Starter Rickey Hunt got the opening touches and ended up tallying 22 rushing yards on six attempts.

Somewhat surprisingly, Hunt, the Myrtle Beach Bowl MVP, didn’t play a snap in the second half of the game due to Tyus’ success. Albin said the offense was just feeding the hot hand. 

“If the rotation continues, they both (Hunt and Tyus) get 100,” Albin said. “...Trey (Anthony Tyus III) got to the second level, and they didn’t get him down; that’s what the difference was.”

During his weekly press conference on Monday, Albin wasn’t ready to name a new starter at the running back position but didn’t leave it out of the question either. 

Albin did assure that the plan this season is for both Hunt and Tyus to split a majority of the reps, no matter who’s the starter. Albin is also confident that running backs Nolan McCormick and Duncan Brune will be getting reps sprinkled throughout the schedule. 

“We’ll discuss that; I have to get with coach (Brian) Smith later in the week,” said Albin. “I know that you’re going to see them both (Tyus and Hunt), and you’re going to see Nolan (McCormick) at some time and Duncan (Brune) at some time too.”

Thoughts on South Alabama 

The Jaguars will provide a tough test for the Bobcats on Saturday night. South Alabama’s first game against North Texas resulted in a loss by a score of 52-38, a shootout that saw a combined 1,132 yards of total offense between the two squads.

The Jaguars’ offense is loaded with firepower and backed by an up-tempo scheme that will challenge an injured Bobcats’ defense. 

“Their skill is as good if not better than Syracuse,” said Albin. “Tons of tempo, lots of formations, formations strengthening the boundary, lots of shifts, lots of motions. They’re doing it for a reason, to force communication.”

While the high-tempo offense will certainly challenge Ohio, the advantage of being at home this week gives coach Albin confidence. 

“We’re at home. We’re not going to be (blocking out noise to communicate); we’re going to be talking, you know, and improving off what we went through at Syracuse,” said Albin. “We’re going to have that communication because their offense requires it.”

Injuries 

Only one week into the season, Ohio is already fighting impactful injuries. During the Syracuse game in week one, three players were taken out with injuries, all of which were on defense.

For Jeremiah Wood and Kendall Bannister, each of whom is a starter in the secondary, Albin anticipates they will be out for the year with ACL injuries. 

According to Albin, Adonis Williams Jr., a defensive team captain alongside Wood, seems to be OK, but he will know closer to the end of the week. 

As for Max Rodarte, the only player listed as “out” before the week one game, Albin did not provide an update. 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu