Tate McRae is a rising pop star

Icons like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Janet Jackson and Britney Spears have been the face of the pop genre for decades. These artists created a legacy that has defined the generations of musicians after them, leaving behind signature sounds and the creation of a title that has been the center of many modern dreams — the pop star. 

Many stars have tried to grasp the title of a pop star over the years, and some were more successful than others. However, it seems there may be a reason for future optimism in the illustrious title of pop star with modern icon Tate McRae. 

Who is Tate McRae? 

McRae has received a recent incline in popularity on social media with her singing style, dancing and aesthetic. McRae’s tour has brought out a new side to the performer that has caused audiences to ponder the idea of her being the newest up incoming pop star. 

The Canadian performer trained as a dancer from age 6, and later attended Alberta Ballet, one of Canada’s premier ballet companies. She would train there for 11 hours a day, on top of competitions, performances and galas. In 2015, she received a two-week scholarship at the Berlin State Ballet after winning silver at the 2015 Youth American Grand Prix, the world’s largest ballet competition. 

Later in 2015, she auditioned for “So You Think You Can Dance,” where she received major praise from judge Paula Abdul who told McRae she was “a gift from God.”  Three years later, McRae won first place in the Best Teen Dancer category in the 2018 YYC Dance Project Program for contemporary dance. 

After her audition on “So You Think You Can Dance,” McRae created a YouTube channel where she released her first song, “One Day.” She would see a rise in popularity with her song going viral online, which caused her to release the song as an independent record. The track would become gold-certified in Canada and the United States.

This success would cause McRae to see an influx of deals from 11 record labels and lead to her 2019 collaboration with Billie Eilish and FINNEAS on “Tear Myself Apart.” Her song “You Broke Me First” dominated TikTok and Billboard charts, and she landed herself on Forbes’s 2021 “30 Under 30” list.

TikTok may have solidified her as a pop star

Tate McRae has received much-deserved attention with her song releases, album drops and, most recently, her tour. McRae has gone viral for her stage presence and production, giving a quality of show rarely seen in the recent pop genre. 

Her storytelling ability allows her to encapsulate the message of songs, even if she has not gone through those events herself. One of her hit songs, “You Broke Me First,” was written out of compassion versus experience. McRae said she had never experienced heartbreak at the time. 

The “Think Later” tour has been a massive success and proven to the masses she creates constant hits and experiences. Her 2023 album, “THINK LATER” received rave reviews from publications like Rolling Stone, and her performanceat the NHL All-Star game in February has 4.1 million views on YouTube. 

She is a qualified contender for a pop star — being one of few in the current industry to have formal training to strengthen her skills. Without a doubt, she is one of the best dancers in this current age of pop performers and demonstrates excellent breath control while performing. She has a magnetic energy that keeps viewers engaged. 

Her tour has been no different. Videos posted online, both from McRae’s social media and her fans, showcase the magnetic performances with amazing-well executed choreography, quality vocals and a pumped-up crowd.

McRae is definitely a star still on the rise and has earned accolades, such as a recent nomination at the 2024 VMAs for “Best Choreography” for her song “Greedy.” Although it may be too early to declare the McRae with the title of pop star, there is no doubt that McRae will have a long career on the Billboard Top 100. Keep an eye on this rising performer, her time in the spotlight is nowhere near done and the title of “Pop Star” seems to be very close in her future. 

siimply_nyny

ng972522@ohio.edu