Week Two Student Media Poll picks from The Post

Each week, the Sports' editorial team selects its Top 25 FBS college football teams for the Student Media Poll.

The SMP is a nationwide poll featuring 97 student journalists from schools nationwide.

The Post Sports staff will break down its ballots each week. Here are the top five, those dropped from the Top 25 and those added:

Robert Keegan III, sports editor

Top Five

1. Ohio State

2. Georgia 

3. Oregon

4. Alabama 

5. Texas 

The top five remain the same, just a few of which are switching places. I was a tad skeptical of Georgia’s position in the top five to start the season, but after a 34-3 win against a pretty good Clemson team, Georgia looked like maybe the best team in college football over the weekend. 

Oregon, my previous No. 2, got the Week One win, but not without a bit of a scare against FCS opponent Idaho. The Ducks would win 24-14, but they played severely under expectations. 

Who I dropped: Florida State

Who didn’t? Florida State, my preseason No. 10, has had a nightmare start to the season. The Seminoles are 0-2, and it's only the end of Week One. Former five-star DJ Uiagalelei doesn’t look like a power-four quarterback, let alone the leader of a top-25 team in the country. 

The Florida State defense also surrendered three-plus touchdowns to Georgia Tech and Boston College, two teams with relatively unproven offenses. I wouldn’t be surprised if Florida State started 0-3 after a tough game against Memphis in Week Two. 

Who I added: USC

I admittedly had zero faith in USC coming into the season and have never been a USC believer no matter who its quarterback is. I thought the Trojans were primed to get blown out in Week One against a good LSU team. I was wrong. 

Quarterback Miller Moss and the USC offense looked among the best in the country, undoubtedly worthy of jumping from unranked to No. 13 in my poll.  

Logan Adams, sports editor

Top Five

1. Georgia

2. Ohio State

3. Texas

4. Alabama

5. Penn State

The top three, for me, have stayed the exact same. Ohio State and Texas did exactly what they were supposed to while Georgia proved that it was still a monster, dismantling a top-25 Clemson team. Alabama looked unstoppable against an admittedly middling Western Kentucky team, while Penn State looked like the second-best team in the Big Ten. 

Oregon and Michigan struggled in their week one games, causing them to drop from the top five. Oregon ultimately ended at No. 6, while Michigan dropped to No. 9 for me.

Who I dropped: Florida State

A relatively safe drop at this point in the season, Florida State has done everything to prove it doesn’t belong in the top 25, much less its top-10 ranking in the AP’s Preseason Poll. I, like pretty much everybody else, have been very unimpressed with DJ Uiagalelei and the roster as a whole, but the Seminoles just look lost offensively, especially in the red zone. 

In the ACC, they’ll be tested again and again, and I just don’t see them finishing over .500 if they continue to play like this.

Who I added: Georgia Tech

On the inverse of what I had to say about Florida State, who now stands at 0-2, Georgia Tech sits at 2-0 and looks like a legitimate CFB Playoff contender if they continue to play this way. Nick Saban himself picked the Yellow Jackets as a sleeper right before they bested the Seminoles in Week 0, and I’d be amiss not to take the greatest college football coach of all time’s suggestion.

Charlie Fadel, staff writer

Top Five

1. Georgia

2. Ohio State

3. Texas

4. Alabama

5. Penn State

The top three trio of Georgia, Ohio State and Texas will all stay put this week after each team put up a solid showing in week one. Georgia was especially impressive after dismantling a No. 14-ranked Clemson team.

Oregon looked unimpressive in week one as they struggled to put away FCS opponent Idaho at home. The Ducks fall from No. 4 to No. 6 this week, just missing the top five. The Ducks’ fall gave way for Penn State to join the top five after its big win against West Virginia in Morgantown following a solid game from junior quarterback Drew Allar. 

Who I dropped: Virginia Tech

Florida State wasn’t the only team to have a disastrous week, as Virginia Tech disappointed many after its loss to unranked Vanderbilt over the weekend. While the Hokies’ game was in Nashville, Vanderbilt is the perpetual doormat of the SEC, and its stadium and environment don’t exactly strike fear into the hearts of many.

This is a young and talented Hokies team that still has time left in the season to climb back up the rankings, but losing to Vanderbilt is a tough start for any team, let alone the No. 24 team in my rankings to start the year. 

Who I added: Kentucky

The Wildcats were similar to previously Vanderbilt for many years, being looked at as an automatic win for the giants of the SEC. Recently, the program has been on the up and up, and this year is no different with Georgia transfer Brock Vandagriff leading the way at quarterback. 

Kentucky handled business in a 31-0 win over Southern Miss, which was called early due to weather. Kentucky will play South Carolina this weekend at home, a good test to see if this team could be legit this season. 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu 

@LoganPAdams

la486821@ohio.edu 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu