Streaming services are losing focus

Throughout their technological history, streaming services have all aimed at being an alternative to cable television. From Netflix to Hulu to Disney+, the point of streaming services has been to provide exclusive content on-demand.

The streaming industry has become a multibillion-dollar industry, with services changing constantly while trying to come up with exclusive offers to entice potential customers. There are now more options than ever for streaming services. However, the novel concept is becoming closer to cable TV as many companies look to make more money off of subscribers.

There are a few bundle subscriptions streaming companies offer to customers. In June, Disney+, Hulu and Max created a bundle with access to all three streaming services for $16.99 a month. There is also a Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ bundle for $14.99 with access to live sporting events and UFC fights. 

In February, Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery announced plans to create a sports-based streaming service housing all three different sports networks, direct-to-consumer sports services and content from all major professional and college sports leagues. Known as Venu Sports, the service was also poised to bundle with Disney+, Max and Fox through a streaming bundle. 

On Aug. 16, a federal judge in New York blocked the plan for Venu Sports. Competitor service Fubo, which primarily markets its live sports channels, filed a complaint stating the service would violate antitrust law.

The effort from Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery and Fubo’s live sports focus raises the question about how streaming services continue to remain an alternative to live TV. While streaming services can be cheaper than a monthly cable TV bill, customers often need multiple subscriptions to replicate the cable TV lineup. The practice leads to higher monthly streaming bills and is less consumer-friendly, questioning if streaming services are still an alternative.

Today, most basic streaming subscriptions come with ads, making the most affordable options for these services seem even more like cable TV. There are even streaming services like YouTube TV, which directly replicate the cable TV model and stream live shows and events. 

Streaming services still offer slightly different appeals to consumers over cable TV. Consumers can pick which content they want to pay for, and not everyone is subscribing to every streaming service. This leads most consumers to save money on their entertainment bills.

However, it is becoming increasingly clear that streaming services are now aiming to add more elements directly replicating live TV. Streaming services are here to stay, but may look more familiar to cable TV in the future.

et029322@ohio.edu