The outside of Shop CGi on East State Street, Sept. 12, 2024, in Athens.

Shop CGI Vintage opens, welcomes all generations

To some parents’ surprise, clothing from their childhood and teenage years has gained popularity among younger generations. Vintage shopping is not only on trend, but is also encouraged for its environmental benefits and waste reduction. Luckily for those in Athens, Shop CGI Vintage is now located at 728 E. State St.

Cole Gilbert, a senior studying retail and fashion merchandising, is the creator of Shop CGI and began selling vintage clothing and sneakers in 2014. Shop CGI’s name stands for Cole Gilbert Incorporated, and Gilbert said it holds special meaning.

“It reflects my personal journey in the vintage world,” Gilbert said. “It just kind of shows a curated experience that I hope all of our customers get.” 

From traveling around the country and hosting pop-up events in California and Atlanta, Shop CGI finally made its way to Athens in 2022 and formed a sponsorship with Ohio University. With brands such as Harley Davidson, Essentials and Walt Disney, the shop has streetwear, vintage and designer options for all age groups. 

Gilbert said he jumped on the opportunity to open a store, and although going in abruptly, Athens has been supportive.  

“We have tried to interact with everyone that has come through,” Gilbert said. “I think there is a strong interest in the area for vintage clothing … and I’d say the experience has been both rewarding and challenging.”

With its grand opening Sept. 1, Shop CGI has been busy, attracting customers from all generations. Montana Blake, Gilbert’s partner and employee at Shop CGI, said her favorite aspect about working at the store is making connections with the customers. 

“We’ve had children, middle schoolers and high schoolers that think it is crazy and want to tell their friends,” Blake said. “We’ve also had grandparents in here … it interests everybody.” 

Blake said one of her favorite interactions was between her and an employee at a neighboring business who was excited to see the collection of vintage cereal boxes because it reminded him of childhood. 

Shop CGI has not only attracted Athens locals but also the Bobcats. Colin Rabold, a freshman studying finance, said Shop CGI is special in comparison to other vintage stores. 

“I’m from Columbus and this is the coolest thrift store I’ve ever been to, I’ve never seen anything like this,” Rabold said. 

Rabold said he enjoys vintage shopping because of the character and personality in each piece of clothing. 

“I think thrifting is great because you don’t ever know what you are looking for, you can just look around and find unique stuff,” Rabold said.

In addition to finding rare pieces, vintage shopping helps students who are on a budget. The college experience is fun, yet costly and spending hundreds of dollars on a pair of jeans is not always feasible. Gilbert said the store's mission is to encourage customers to express their personal styles. 

“I think you can dress affordably, yet cool,” Gilbert said. “Our price ranges. We go as low as $5 but I’d say on average $15 to $25 is most of our clothes in here. It is very affordable.” 

Gilbert said the store does not accept donations but instead is a buy, sell and trade business. Customers looking to trade will earn store credit. In addition, all OU students and alumni will receive a 10% discount. 

For those looking to build their band tee collection or shop affordable name brands, Shop CGI hopes to be people’s first choice. Noah Rosen, a freshman studying business, said he encourages others to choose Shop CGI. 

“If you are into vintage, nostalgic things, anything of that sort, there is a lot here to look at,” Rosen said. “There is no harm just coming here, even if you don’t get anything.” 

gn875322@ohio.edu 

gina_napoli_