Behind the Lens: When to separate art and artist

Even the biggest musicians in the world, from Taylor Swift to Corey Taylor, are people. And with being human comes being flawed. Unfortunately, sometimes those flaws go well beyond the realm of acceptability. 

Many examples come to mind, including Kanye West and his antisemitic rants, Morgan Wallen yelling racial slurs at a bar and even recently Dave Grohl for cheating on his wife. Famous musicians being shrouded in controversy is nothing new.  

Take, for example, Elvis Presley and his wife, Priscilla. The pair met when she was only 14 years old and he was 24. They married seven years later in 1967. That age gap became a major argument against Presley, but by that point he had already cemented his title as “the King of Rock and Roll.” Nearly 50 years later, his title still remains for many in spite of this.

Even among the most controversial of artists, some fans may never denounce their loyalty. Ronnie Radke, singer for metal band Falling in Reverse, has been a contentious figure for much of his career. In 2006, he was involved in a fight that ended with the death of an 18-year-old man. While Radke did not fire the gun that ultimately killed the man, he was sentenced to five years probation. He broke the rules around his probation and served two years in prison.

Twice in 2012, Radke was arrested on charges of assault. Along with these charges, he has been accused of abuse numerous times and now regularly makes transphobic and hateful comments on Tiktok and Twitter. Despite his dubious career, Falling in Reverse still draws in large crowds of devoted fans and has almost 9 million monthly listeners on Spotify.

Holding someone accountable for the things they say or do is not, as some people may claim, cancel culture or censorship. If someone says or does something physically or verbally that hurts others, it is one thing to try to have the person make amends, and it another to try to end their career.

Most have heard the recent news surrounding Foo Fighters singer Grohl and his affair. Although fans have every right to be upset about the situation, Grohl was the first to publicly acknowledge it in an Instagram post. He could have just as easily swept it under the rug, making sure it never got out to the public. In this case, Grohl held himself accountable for his actions, showing a level of maturity many in the same situation may not have.

On the other hand, instead of taking accountability and apologizing for his past, Radke regularly fights back at people who call him out. In August, he filed a defamation lawsuit against YouTube music critic Anthony Fantano for a video criticizing the singer.

Many fans may wonder when to separate their favorite artists from the art they produce. Simply put, it comes down to personal choice on whether something is too much for someone to stop supporting an artist or musician and to what degree a person of fame needs to be held accountable for their actions.

Some may say the art is a reflection of the artist. Others may argue they are completely independent of one another. For some, there is a line a person has to cross. For others, one wrongdoing can completely end their respect for the person. Ultimately, it is up to the relation between fan and artist and the severity of the controversy. What one person may see as a horrible act another may not have any issue with.

Ethan Herx is a sophomore studying photojournalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts? Let Ethan know by emailing or tweeting them at eh481422@ohio.edu or @ethanherx.