Blabby Abby: School spirit shows dedication

As Homecoming approaches at Ohio University, there are a number of reasons why students, faculty and staff must participate in the events planned for the week. School pride is an important part of education, and no adult is too cool to celebrate.

Homecoming is the epitome of school spirit, and although the entire point of the celebration is to partake in mass appreciation of the school, there are still those few people who refuse to partake. 

Unfortunately, enjoying events put on by the university is seen as lame or not cool to attend because the events are advertised as and supposed to be helpful and uplifting for students. 

The National Association of Secondary School Principals, or NASSP, reported on a Harris Polls study gauging the benefits of school spirit among students, faculty and staff. The study results showed students who showed the most school spirit performed better than average in school, had higher self-esteem and claimed to have “a good group of friends.” 

Although most universities host a wide variety of events for students to socialize and celebrate school pride, it can often be intimidating to attend. It makes more sense for students to dip their feet in with widely known events. An example of those events is sporting events, but students often tend to feel as though they have no time for games or matches. 

College Vine published a list of the top seven universities with the most school spirit, all of which boast impressive athletic programs, especially number one on the list, the University of Florida. Those athletic powerhouses obviously carry an abundance of school spirit, but schools without widely known athletic programs can be left in the dust by the public eye and in turn the university itself. 

Harvard University commented on its lack of school spirit determined by a student survey, a key takeaway saying, “noting eerily similar trends of quiet student sections at sporting events and disinterested students.” 

The Parking Spot has Peden Stadium sitting at number eight as one of the best football scenes in the NCAA. With a max capacity of around 27,000, this year’s Homecoming crowd is expected to be large as always. Everyone with even a slight interest in celebrating OU should attend, even if it is just to watch the Marching 110. 

Although a crucial piece of Homecoming weekend for OU, students should treat all sporting events with the same respect and the same level of excitement. Additionally, the Homecoming spirit should stick around all year. With OU being ranked as the No. 7 college town overall and the No. 1 college town in Ohio by Barstool, there is simply no reason not to celebrate. 

OU alumni have a network of dedicated Bobcats who are incredibly loyal to the school they went to, which is exciting in itself. However, current students should be the crowd with the most spirit. The regret of never participating is haunting after graduation and despite hearing it over and over from parents, the truth is students should get involved as much as possible. 

This year, plan on attending the football game, watching the parade or even just hanging a Bobcat flag outside somewhere. Student pride should be everywhere and celebrated as much as it can be. There is no better time to kick off that spirit than now during Homecoming. 

Abby Jenkins is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Abby know by tweeting her @abbyjenks18 or emailing her at aj205621@ohio.edu.