“Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” returns with new laughs, haunts

“Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” (2024) is a fun sequel to the classic movie from the ‘80s. The film reignites love for the original “Beetlejuice” (1986) while bringing a modern twist to the vintage-feeling film. 

Tim Burton’s “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” hit theaters Friday. The film saw the return of Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz and Michael Keaton as Betelgeuse. Many new faces were in the film, such as Willem Dafoe as Wolf Jackson and Jenna Ortega as Astrid Deetz. 

“Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” takes place in 2024, where Lydia hosts a talk show called “Ghost House” and has a daughter named Astrid. Lydia begins seeing visions of Betelgeuse after 36 years, an omen of the impending chaos. 

The actors and actresses brought power, spunk and excitement to the film which never leaves audiences uninterested. Their comedic timing and witty remarks added an extra layer of creativity to the film.

Burton takes audiences back to the fictional town of Winter River, Vermont. Though taking place almost 40 years in the future, the charm of the small town remains with a touch of updated flair. The house of Lydia’s childhood still sits atop the hill with the same mysteriousness as it did in 1986. 

While the film is creative and fun, it also has many themes making it a little more serious. Similar to its predecessor, “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” focuses on family themes. Lydia and Astrid are an estranged mother-daughter duo, and they struggle with coming together and finding bonding moments. 

Two actors stood out when it came to their performance: Keaton’s Beetlejuice and Catherine O’Hara’s Delia Deetz. 

Anytime Keaton was on screen, he stole the show. He brought the same liveliness to the mischievous poltergeist as he did 36 years ago. With his hilarious interactions with other characters, it is hard to ignore Betelgeuse’s eccentric and outlandish personality. 

O’Hara brought all the dramatics to “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice.” She allows her emotions to take over her character while keeping up with the film's comedic aspects. Though these characters stood out, the whole cast brought the movie together.

“Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” does a great job drawing references from the original “Beetlejuice” while creating a unique story. Audiences were looking for a film that called back to the classic but could also stand alone; Burton exceeded audiences' expectations. 

One successful aspect of the film was the soundtrack. The film, of course, had to include the iconic “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)” by Harry Belafonte from the iconic scene in the first movie. However, the film used a cover by Alfie Davis and The Sylia Young Theatre School Choir for the film. The film included the song in a new way, but it could not be part of the Beetlejuice series without it. 

Other songs in the film include “Margaritaville” by Jimmy Buffet, “Cry, Cry” by Mazzy Star and “MacArthur Park” by Donna Summer. The film also included “Tragedy” by the Bee Gees, which played behind a soon-to-be iconic scene. 

One critique of the movie is the amount of side plots included. The film feels like it is jumping from one plot point to another, which may confuse audiences. 

Though the plot jumps at times, the movie’s abundant nostalgia makes up for the many plot points. The film introduces a new generation to Betelguese and Lydia, and the concept still captivates audiences the same way it did in 1986. 

“Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” is a great horror and comedy film that will entertain audiences for generations to come. The modernized film did not lose the nostalgia of the ‘80s, and Burton recreated the same magic from the first film. 

Rating: 4/5 

sanness01@gmail.com

sophia_isabella0415